• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack help

xjman96

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to have the roof repainted and I am going to remove and reinstall the roof rack.
I already bought new strips but I need to know about the nuts that the rack screws screw into.
The Jeep is a 96. there are two different nuts for that year, one for the early and one for the later 96.
Does anybody know the difference and what I need for my early 96?

IIRC they are clinched to the roof material, like nutserts. You don't remove them. You can get replacements if they are bad - but the originals aren't available in all sizes from the dealer for all years.

Being clinched to the roof, about the worst thing that happens is rust, and pull out from overload. Then a patch from a salvage yard can be welded in to replace it, at some expense. It must be exactly centered to work right if it has the clinch nut already installed. Replacement nuts may not be the correct thread, get the bolt with it.

I don't believe the nuts do more than that -

Back