• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OX Locker company/product rumors.

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
I have been replying to another thread, but wanted to post in a new one. Without getting into which locker is better, I will just say that I like my OX locker in my rear D44. Everytime I have researched, or anytime OX is mentioned someone always brings up wether they are in or out of buisness. I called OX and got it straight from the horses mouth.

2 guys in Florida started making OX lockers in their garage. They sold to their friends and started making a name for themselves. Demand started to out do production. They could not meet demand and long waits ensued. They wanted to go to "commercial production".

Another guy started a machine shop and wanted to start producing. The two talked. Florida Manufacturing Group (FMG) became parteners with the original designers and are still parteners till this day. That was 4 years ago.

At one point, they had a 2 year deal with Trans America. That is the parent company of 4 Wheel Parts. It was an exclusive distributer agreement. That is now over. Niether company ever "owned" any part of Ox, or FMG.

At no point is Australia anywhere in this story. Even I had "heard" that it was an Australian company or some such thing. Not true.

A couple of other rumors to put to rest. Originaly, the teeth of the locking ring was flat. When it engaged, the teeth would meet and have to pass each other. Engagement wasn't smooth, and cable adjustment was critical to get it to mesh properly. Now, the teeth are diamond shaped. Shifting is smoother, and if the teeth are not all the way in, once torque is applied they will pull each other together. Smoother shifting, cable adjustment less critical. I can personaly atest to this. It is either on or off. Set my cable up in one adjustment with the instructions. Only adjusted it once since install. 5minutes. They did this 4 years ago.

The shifter itself was also reversed. Springs keep it diengaged. You move the shifter against spring tension. I don't know how the older shifters felt.

Last one. If you route your cable too tight, when the axle droops you can pull on the cable and disengage the locker. Others in the past have complained about how the locker "just disengages out of the blue". Not true, the locker will only disengage if the cable is pulled. This is gone over very well in the instalation instructions. I had no problems with my cable routing.

I am not a spokes person. I do not think that OXs are the best thing since sliced bread. It is just that there is so much misinformation out there about Ox lockers. I am very happy with mine. Will be putting one up front. Solid product and excellent customer service. Feel free to disagree. Just thought you would like to know.

P.S. They have promised a 31 spline 8.8 locker for some time. They said they will have one at this years SEMA and it will be available in January.

i've heard nothing but great things about this company but i just dont have 700+ to drop on a locker then find out i have to spend another 100+ on a cable for it. i might look into one for the HP44 i'm buidling if the price ever drops.

I paid $700 total for my D44 including cable. You could consider it $600 and a beefy diff cover. All the nice cast covers out there are at least $100.

Back