• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Help ME

bspoonman1993

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 4.0 auto, 4x4, Stock, I was on the trail today and was driving along fine, Nothing wrong with engine or Jeep. All of a sudden the headlight dimmed .5 seconds before the engine sputtered to a halt. I have spark(boy do those pack a punch, lol), and I have fuel to the rail. Nothing else seems to be awry, It has a new TPS, CPS, Cap, rotor, wires plugs, and alternator, also new battery cables and grounds from motor to firewall.

I really need help and quick. the Jeep is still out on the trail and I don't like leaving my baby alone like that, last time i left a vehicle in the woods, stupid punks smashed it to pieces.

Any help would be absolutely great, in the mean time ill try to sift through the thousands of pages on this site.

If nothing else, go get a buddy and have him tow you off the trail to a gas station. That's why you don't wheel alone.

Let's see, headlamps dimmed, engine died...

Still have some headlights? Duh, must have, he has spark, so it must have cranked to test that...

Also has fuel to the rail...

I have seen CPS's die because the wire was not dressed right and it touched the manifild and burned though.

I know i should be with a buddy, but this isnt even really a trail. It is an access road for a mountain... just driving in the snow is all. Battery is good, also have a jump pack just in case of situations like this. engine cranks, seems to have good spark and fuel delivery. The CPS wire visually doesn't look burnt or chaffed, that was my first thought. I don't know. i will be there tomorrow in hopes to get it running. Thanks for replying, anymore info or thoughts on what to check would be great?

I know i should be with a buddy, but this isnt even really a trail. It is an access road for a mountain... just driving in the snow is all. Battery is good, also have a jump pack just in case of situations like this. engine cranks, seems to have good spark and fuel delivery. The CPS wire visually doesn't look burnt or chaffed, that was my first thought. I don't know. i will be there tomorrow in hopes to get it running. Thanks for replying, anymore info or thoughts on what to check would be great?

You say it has spark but try unplugging the CPS and plug it back in and see if it starts. Also look inside the distributor and see if there is oil in the bottom, that will mess up the synch sensor.

i will look in it tomorrow, I have pretty much unplugged every connector and plugged it back in, I disconnected the battery in hopes to maybe reset something. But still no start

I would pull it out of there tonight if you can, and then fix it in the am.

Our trails are the same way around here, I would sleep in my jeep in the cold before I would leave it in the woods to be vandalized.

one morining i went out to my heep and it wouldnt start. it would just groan when trying to cank over, quite laborious as well. after a lot of looking around i found the cupret. turned out that the alts bearing went out and the case was well cracked. the frozen pully would not let the serp belt turn at all. replaced my stock alt for a ZJ one and havent had the same problem since

hth

If you have spark and fuel, I'd pull the plugs to see if they are fouled. Clean if necessary (the spray start cleans 'em pretty good), and crank a little with the plugs out if they were wet. Put em back in and try it. If no luck, try starting with spray start. If it starts with spray, check for power to the fuel injectors.

Ok i went to it today. Still won't start, i have fuel at the rail but the spark plugs aren't wet after cranking.

Im going to go back tomorrow after work to check injector pulse with noid lights. If no pulse, where should i go from there, maybe the stator in the distributor?, otherwise i have no clue.

Ok i went to it today. Still won't start, i have fuel at the rail but the spark plugs aren't wet after cranking.

Im going to go back tomorrow after work to check injector pulse with noid lights. If no pulse, where should i go from there, maybe the stator in the distributor?, otherwise i have no clue.

Check the grounds at the dipstick hold down bolt and the bundle of grounds inside the wire loom near the MAP sensor

check and check on those grounds, Check all the grounds visible and opened up the harness at the map sensor, and all things looked good.

Been reading the posts and some suggest a possible ECU failure,

really at this point i have spark and fuel at the rail. but there seems to be no fuel in combustion chamber, as if injectors not firing.

What could be causing this, I know of the Stator in the distributor, what else besides a bad ECU could cause this.

If you have spark, you should be able to start it with gasoline lightly dribbled into the throttle body. It should crank and run for a second. It might even keep going. So might the fire, be careful. If it won't even sputter, I wonder if you really have spark at the plugs.

Add 5 gallons to the fuel tank and try again - because there's nothing said about if the tank is too low or on a tilt.

Spark & fuel & air = running engine. It's not - so, something is assumed to be working when it isn't, like the injectors, or maybe air is the problem.

Test your camshaft position sensor, located inside of the distributor. I have seen them fail a couple of different ways; sometimes they make the engine run poorly as they are responsible for fuel injector timing as well as other things but I have also seen them be responsible for a no-start.

check and check on those grounds, Check all the grounds visible and opened up the harness at the map sensor, and all things looked good.

Been reading the posts and some suggest a possible ECU failure,

really at this point i have spark and fuel at the rail. but there seems to be no fuel in combustion chamber, as if injectors not firing.

What could be causing this, I know of the Stator in the distributor, what else besides a bad ECU could cause this.

Is the stator turning when the engine is cranking? if not it could be a sheared pin on the dizzy gear, broken timing chain, or some other failure in the valvetrain.

You have spark, you have fuel but are the valves opening to get the mixture in and if they are is the dizzy turning to deliver the spark

I know im getting spark at the plugs, and fuel to the rail, The plugs are never wet after cranking no matter for how long. I know i have compression one of the first things ive checked. Im pretty sure that there is no injector pulse.

I know that the Stator can cause no pulse, and ive heard the ECU but do not know how to check that,

Is there anything else that might cause the injectors not to fire.

I cannot tow the thing out of the woods, nothing i can use can do it with the snow on the ground, i even tried a big dodge pick up lifted and 38s grabber tires, with stroked 454!!!, nothing i expected that to dig down to dirt and pull but it doesnt, i am stuck on flat but there is a substantial hill in the way!!!!

going right now to try to figure it out.

Bump

I do not have injector pulse. Need to know how to check power to ECU and if i can test my Stator in the Distributor

What is the most likely culprit here, i really need to have this running it is my only vehicle.

Back