• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trouble installing hitch

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
i am installing my hidden hitch and i can not get the bolts that go through the nutsert started. ive sprayed everything down with PB and nothing will start.

any tips...im trying to get this done tonight if i can

i think the problem is with the nutserts...they look pretty rusty and ive sprayed them done a bunch...i dont have anything to get in there and clean the threads out with

Try getting the bolts into the nutserts by hand without the hitch like winterbeater said. After letting the PB sit, try twisting a rag thru the nutserts to remove the gunk you dissolved.

Also the nutstrips are Metric!

i installed my hitch w/o the nut strip i found it to be easier in the long run... my nut strip was rusted like yours and i had to literally cut my exhaust hanger bolts loose and pull the nut strip out... so now my exhaust hanger only has 1 bolt holding it in for now lol

Try something like this to clean out the holes:

I got it in the plumbing department of the hardware store and chucked it up in my drill.

HTH,
Billy
Try this first,gun brushes come in all sizes!

You can try using a tap to clear the threads out..

Make sure you have the correct size and pitch.
This is the BEST method !Chase the threads.

the nutstrips are definitely metric... no question. if you still can't get them started i'd say its worth the few bucks to buy the tap and run it through. they also make thread chasers just for this purpose. another option is to buy new nutstrips at the dealership, scrap them altogether or build your own.

Back