• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35" tires!

89cherokee89

NAXJA Forum User
I can get 4 BFG AT 35x12.50 tires with wheels and a goodyear spare with a wheel for $450 total. I know this is a crazy good deal, but what would I have to do to make these tires fit? trim? regear? what else? how much more expensive would this be to make these tires fit? Thanks in advance!

First off, how about some specs for your Jeep!

longarm or control arms drop brackets suspension lift of 5" or more
upgraded steering and brakes
upgraded axles/shafts and gearing, 4.88 or deeper
trim/cut fender
new wheels

price with new parts at least 3+ grand

unless your XJ is pre-moded to fit the changes, your jsut going to have to spend a ton of money to do it right to make these 35" fit. I know its a sweet deal, but at what cost are you willing to spend to make these work? And its a bad idea to mount these up if this is going to be your Daily Driver. I know guys who run 32" on their DD's and would have bought 31" s if they had to do it all over.

First off, how about some specs for your Jeep!

Ahhhhh yes, sorry, haven't frequented NAXJA in such a long time. 31x11.50 Swamper TSLS. 15 inch black steelies. 3.5 inch lift all the way around. Full leafs and new coils. skyjacker shocks. No SYE, no mods to steering. AW4 tranny.

Oh, and this is not a daily driver. just a weekend fun machine.

A whole lot of trimming and bump stopping. gears most likly. and steering.

there was some pics floating around of a guy running 37's with out much lift, but he had almost no up travel to his suspension.

Ahhhhh yes, sorry, haven't frequented NAXJA in such a long time. 31x11.50 Swamper TSLS. 15 inch black steelies. 3.5 inch lift all the way around. Full leafs and new coils. skyjacker shocks. No SYE, no mods to steering. AW4 tranny.

Oh, and this is not a daily driver. just a weekend fun machine.

Spend $100 and get yourself another 2" of lift with shackles and spacers.
Spend $100 on a hack and tap SYE
Trim your fenders (free)
Might need new shocks? Depends on what size lift yours are rated for.
Spend $100 and get adjustable track bar
If you don't already have new lower control arms, spend $150 and get new ones
Get some YJ brake lines (free at a jy or can't be that much at a parts store), good for about 5" of lift.
Gears would certainly be good if it's a DD. You can go fine without them, your jeep will just be more of a dog than it normally is. If you do the gears you're looking at anywhere from $400 (if you buy used axles already geared) to $1500 (having a shop regear both axles).

So, realistically, you can get away with the 35's for $300 or so up to $2,000. Depends on what you want/need.

I gotta agree with the guy about why you'd want to put that much time/effort into putting A/Ts on your Jeep. What I'd do is buy the wheels/tires and re-sell them, should be able to make an easy hundred bucks, maybe more.

I dont know if anyone has been able to fit such a large tire on their XJ before. Let us know how it works out for you!

Thre have been 35s or it might even have been 37s on 2" of lift and stock height too, cutting was rediculous and he had aftermarket axles so those axles might have bumped up the suspension just a tad, maybe an inch

Id say run the lift you have, trim, bumpstop a bit and put them on. You said it's a trail rig? Id probably look into beefing up the steering box area, look into a ZJ V8 tie-rod, and if you haven't already, track-bar and LCAs at the least. 35s is a whole nother can of worms...it takes alot to make it reliable on 35s, but you know what they say, "Cheap Reliable and Big, pick two."

So to sum things up,
Track-bar and bracket(Something like a Rubicon Express with a flex joint instead of TRE, mounted in double shear.
LCA's and maybe Uppers, just to strengthen things over the stock stamped stuff.
And for a better piece of mind, look into a SYE/CV Shaft.

Back