• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG KM2 Vs KM

Deadman 94 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been covered. I read a few reviews but I didn’t find what I was looking for.

Can anyone with experience with both KM2s and the old KMs give me some honest feedback?
I’m getting ready to pick up a set with the good old tax return. I’ve always liked the KM but I can’t decide which way to go. The KM2s seem to lack the lug bite that the KMs have so I’m leaning that way.
Price is about the same but I think it’d be easier to find the KM2 these days.

I’m not really interested in street performance, just wet, mud, and rocks.

35/12.5/15

Thanks!

I have run 35" KM1's and and now running 35" KM2's. The KM2's are light years beyond the KM1's in terms of road noise, balance, even wear and overall performance. BFG outdid themselves with the effort put into the KM2. I have run 7 sets of tires in the last 2 years and as far as a radial, I will never install anything except the KM2 on anything I drive that leaves the pavement.

Are the KM2's really that good for on-road grip, as well as everything from rocks to mud offroad? I really like my KL71's, but I was considering switching to KM2's if I ever upgrade to 33's.

Another concern might be future availability of the KM. I just had one replaced under warranty and the vendor had some difficulty in locating a replacement. According to them, BFG is phasing out the old style. Just a thought.

Yeah, very good point. I knew they were being phased out but I didn't think about needing a replacement in the future.

I have run 35" KM1's and and now running 35" KM2's. The KM2's are light years beyond the KM1's in terms of road noise, balance, even wear and overall performance. BFG outdid themselves with the effort put into the KM2. I have run 7 sets of tires in the last 2 years and as far as a radial, I will never install anything except the KM2 on anything I drive that leaves the pavement.

Thanks. Good enough for me.

Are the KM2's really that good for on-road grip, as well as everything from rocks to mud offroad? I really like my KL71's, but I was considering switching to KM2's if I ever upgrade to 33's.
thats funny. I have decided on Km2s for my Durango (Lr-E for towing), But it was a Close call, I was debating on getting the KL71's, Got pictures on your rig?

Still need tires for the XJ, and im debating between the two again!:wave:

They're still available and the 4x4 shop I bought them from said that if I needed to replace them under warranty, that I'd just pay the difference between what the KM1s cost and the KM2s. I think its about $16 difference.

I'm going to try to find a full sized spare to make sure that I've got one for when the time comes.

You might be able to find a shop that has some sitting around due to not being able to sell as many tires/due to the tire being the "old undesireable" type (even though they're good tires). I got 4 for $550, but they were 31x10.5x15.

If I can try to steer this thread a little more across the BFG spectrum, has anyone run both the KM2s and the Krawlers?

Do the KM2s even compare with the Krawlers?

I went from 33 KMs to 35 KM2s, I would say the road traction is way better with the KM2s. They seem to do fairly well in the snow too.

Blues the comp co pound reds more of the streetable compound I believe...

I'm watchin this thread close I've got half worn KMs and want KM2s so this will help me decide...

If I can try to steer this thread a little more across the BFG spectrum, has anyone run both the KM2s and the Krawlers?

Do the KM2s even compare with the Krawlers?

I read the KM2s are better in the cold stuff because the compound doesn't change at all. Then again, that would be any non-sticky MT.

Keep the replies coming. I didn't mean to sound like I had made up my mind just yet. I know a few others were interested in this too.

thats funny. I have decided on Km2s for my Durango (Lr-E for towing), But it was a Close call, I was debating on getting the KL71's, Got pictures on your rig?

Still need tires for the XJ, and im debating between the two again!:wave:

I have pics I just can't get to them here at work. Go to Jeep Forum and search 'KL71' and you should be able to find plenty of pics of my white cherokee.

I just want to make sure the KM2's are good in all offroad conditions. My KL71's are way better than I expected in the rocks, flexing and grabbing like crazy, I'm guessing because of the fairly soft compound. They also do well in the mud and as of this weekend, get good traction in the snow and ice. I want the KM2 to do all that as well if I'm going to switch.

Does anyone run the Krawler for a street/offroad rig, or is it really made for just offroad? Just think it would be much better in the rocks and such. Guess it doesn't matter much for me, they don't make it in a 33". Still, most guys in the Peterson's Off Road Ultimate Adventure were running KM2's up to 40" and they were going over and through everything.

Last edited:
Back