• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" lift questions

dunbad

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I know i said i wouldnt look for lift on my 97 xj when i get round to replacing my rear leaf springs, But.... So now im kinda thinking a small 2" lift. Nothing major.

So anyway, I have a little more money now, and would like to know where to start.
Im reading up about the lift itself, (Ill be going for the AAL rear on newish stock leaf springs, and spacers up front I think??)

but wanted to know first about the tools that i will need.
So first thing is tools.
What axle stands should i go for in terms of weight AND height. Also im assuming i need a better trolley jack, all ive got is the stock jack, what sort of height should i get for the jack.

I have a smallish socket set but am looking to treat myself to a better one. possibly a METRINCH? But any particular tool or piece of equipment that might make things easier?

many thanks

Big breaker bar and or impact. Big C-clamp to get the spring packs back small enough to start the threads on the centering pins. And I think just about every bolt on the cherokee is metric.... Worst part I found when I put my first cherokee lift in was getting the front axle to drop low enough to get the spring out so the spacer would go in.

you could save even more money and the trouble of doing the AAL, by just putting a 2 inch lift shackle in the rear. also I think, It would result in a better ride quality on and off road.

pickup a long and short 21mm socket for the ca's bolts, a couple bottles of pb blaster, and some bandaids for your busted knuckles.

did a 4" lift in my driveway with hand tools only and it only took a week to get it done(working 2-3hours a night).

and to get the springs in have a buddy jack up the opp. side of the axle while you try and pry the spring in.

oh and have fun re-tapping your rear shock mount bolts. had to cut panels in mine to get to the old welded on nuts off

yeah im reading up about the pros and cons regarding the lift now and will continue to do so.
But im eyeing up a set of axle stands and trolley jack on ebay and wanted to know what sort of HEIGHT was the minium that i would need to get? sorry i know its real basic, :dunno:but im a believer in the right tools for the right job blar blar blar, or is height not that important.

The c clamps i have, Torque wrench, breaker bar.

Also anyone heard of this metrinch socket set. Im eyeing up one of these on ebay too, They are kinda expensive though!

21mm for sure for the leaf spring bolts. I needed deep, shallow, and a box wrench to get my rear springs off.

Rent or buy a decent pair of spring compressors. I didn't have to do any disassembly of my front suspension to take out my springs that way. Compressors are a bit on the dangerous side, but they are awesome.

I used regular old jackstands that I got at the hardware store. 3 ton, I think, and they did just fine. My jack lifts to 22", and it worked beautifully.

I would recommend getting the HD leaf packs from Quadratec instead of an Add-a-leaf, if you can. They're supposed to ride better, and you don't have to tear apart your leaf pack. AALs are a comprimise solution.

springcompression.jpg

ive read about another guy do a 2" lift and he compressed his front springs with this tool to get the spacer in. Would this be easier than getting the front axle lower? If so, what is this clamp called so i can get one of those whilst im getting the rest of my tools??

Thealmightysam,
they must be the spring compressors your talking about then!!! Sorry we were obviously typing at the same time!!

Yeah ive been lubing up my springs now for ages so im hoping i dont have tooooo many problems.:bawl:

Thanks for letting me know about the height thing. There isnt too much price difference with regards to weight capacity of the axle stands or trolley jacks, but the price shoots up with regards to height clearance. ill keep you posted and no doubt ill have more questions,but ill do some more research first

many thanks

Sorry my mistake, im using HD rear leaf springs and NOT stock. But ill be taking the main out of my old pack and using that as the AAL. I have additional weight in the rear of my rig but the combination of that SHOULD get me the 2 inches of lift at the back.

chedisme, wouldnt a 2 inch lift shackle get me one inch of lift?

most of the shackle lifts available are 3" longer netting you about 1.5" at the axle. I have not seen any quality ones that come in any other size actually. I just put some of the teraflex ones on mine while I was replacing the rear axle. I got about 1.25 out of it because the springs were(are) so worn. Over my break from school I'm going to be putting on some quadratec hd springs to bring it up a little higher.

Add a leafs where out pretty fast. 2x for shackle lift verse aal.

The problem with just a lift shackle or AAL is you still won't have a good shackle angle which equals crappy ride and no flex.if you keep your springs try shackle relocation for the angle and 1 or 1.5 inch lift shackle. to get where you need to be.

oh and have fun re-tapping your rear shock mount bolts. had to cut panels in mine to get to the old welded on nuts off

my jeep came from a rust infested place... michigan so i get to be fortunate with this nut too... im excited... hope i can fit maybe a wrench in there and maybe possibly a grinder of some sort... (the wrench is for when i grind the tacks off enough to break it off with a wrench =/)

I got a pair of urethane spring spacers from a friend and new Rough Country Shackles. I am waiting for warmer weather to put it all on.

Hi,
I got some tools today, I tried out of interest my 21mm socket on the rear spring bolt just to see if it would fit, (and it did obviously) but couldnt help giving it a go at undoing it just a bit before spraying it with more pb, but it would not budge!! This is a worrying sign. I didnt use the breaker bar but i did give it some beans and it did not move either direction.

Ive done some searching and an electric impact wrench might be on my shopping list. You can pick up some really obscure makes pretty cheap (24 volts rechargeable). Are these any good or would i be better hiring a dewalt or something similar, or hiring an air impact wrench and compressor?
I need to try and get the tools in place because i use the xj as my daily drive and cant be off road for too long and wont be able to go to the shops as i will have no transport!!

Don't waste your cash on a 2" lift, The reason I say this is that after you spend the $ & go to 2" you will soon feel the need to go to 3-4" & end up spending more $. So just go for the 3-4" lift from the get go!

Ask me how I know??

Hi,
I got some tools today, I tried out of interest my 21mm socket on the rear spring bolt just to see if it would fit, (and it did obviously) but couldnt help giving it a go at undoing it just a bit before spraying it with more pb, but it would not budge!! This is a worrying sign. I didnt use the breaker bar but i did give it some beans and it did not move either direction.

Ive done some searching and an electric impact wrench might be on my shopping list. You can pick up some really obscure makes pretty cheap (24 volts rechargeable). Are these any good or would i be better hiring a dewalt or something similar, or hiring an air impact wrench and compressor?
I need to try and get the tools in place because i use the xj as my daily drive and cant be off road for too long and wont be able to go to the shops as i will have no transport!!

My rear spring bolts were on there pretty good, and mine's rust-free. I wound up having to use a big breaker.

I've used a Snap-On electric impact with good results, but they're nothing like a proper air gun.

funny you should say that, i was just looking at the 3 inch skyjacker set up, and the tomken.

the problem is i dont wanna have to start altering other things, im still trying to get my head around the 2" lift whereby i wont be effected by too many other factors and it will be more straight forward for someone like me to do. But i do see what your saying

I have a 3 inch lift on my 98xj and I still have all stock arms, track bar ect. I could use a SYE but not that baddly. Ive gone almost a year with out one and I am only now starting to get a few vibes here and there. some time this summer Im going to do one. I would even wait longer but I want to go another 2 inches.

I just realized you were in the uk. are there alot of xj's there or mostly land and range rovers?

Back