• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

building uca/lca material question

xjowens

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and cant get an answer to this . I'm wanting to built a set of short arms . This is my DD so I am gonna use stock rubber bushings on all . I know the lenghths and the dom size for the arms , my question is about the ends that recieve the bushings . What size dom can I get to accept the stock bushings ? I'd rather not buy any after market ones if I can go to the steel yard and buy dom and cut it myself ! Theyre gonna be on a 93 if that makes any difference . Any help folks ?

There isnt any direct fit as they need a step machined into them,JKS and Rocklogic have them.

I This is my DD so I am gonna use stock rubber bushings on all .
my question is about the ends that recieve the bushings . What size dom can I get to accept the stock bushings ? I'd rather not buy any after market ones if I can go to the steel yard and buy dom and cut it myself !

You might want to rethink using stock bushing on both ends on your CAs.
If you look at a stock LCA, you see that the bushings are in the same plane. Now take a stock Cherokee and flex it. Looking, you will see that the LCA's bushings are not in the same plane because the control-arms have twisted.
The twist or mis-alignment is necessary to prevent over-stressing the various control arm mounts when flexed.
The stock bushings do not have enough flexibility, when used with a solid control-arm, instead of the stock flexible sheet metal control-arm.
You can do this but there are better ways of doing it without damaging the CA mounts and will allow will let your XJ to flex better.

To provide mis-alignment capabilities, quality after-market CAs have either Johnny-Joints at one end (RE Super-Flex), very flexible bushings (RE Super-Ride) or stock bushings in a control arm that has built-in rotation (JKS).

Back