• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will NP 242 Fit 91 XJ?

1991XJCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Well my transfer case went out and I got a Np242 for 100 bucks it comes complete with the linkage and plate and shifter and transfer case. now will my drive shaft just pop right in there same splines? and also will the transfer case just bolt up like the old np 231? and one more question is it true the 242 is lower geared?

Well my transfer case went out and I got a Np242 for 100 bucks it comes complete with the linkage and plate and shifter and transfer case. now will my drive shaft just pop right in there same splines? and also will the transfer case just bolt up like the old np 231? and one more question is it true the 242 is lower geared?
same gearing, you need a 21 spline input, what years the 242 out of?

out of a 99 dodge dakota i believe and are you saying that my old 231 is a 21 spline and this 242 needs to be a 21 also for it to work? i have the slip yoke from the dakota to with the 23 spline that went to the transfer case so you think my driveshaft will fit that yoke?

If you have a '91 XJ then you have 23-spline shaft where the tranny and tcase meet up

I'd be surprised if the 242 from the Dakota is drop-in for the Jeep. I suspect it will need some modifications somewhere to work right. There are a couple of jeep 242s for sale in the north-atlantic forum

well i fabbed up the dakota yoke to fit the xj driveshaft thats all set and the transfer case is a 23 spline where it connect to tranny. so that will all line up and then the 242 is 3 inches longer then the 231

Back