• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum Disco D30 Aussie install

bigsky

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so today Installed an Aussie Locker in my front vacuum disconnect Dana 30. I had a couple issue with it and wanted leet people know what they were and to also find out if other people had the same problems.

1. The passenger

side inner axle shaft was a C-clip axle, because of this I had to install the locker with the carrier installed into the case. With the carrier installed into the case is was impossible for me to install the pinion shaft because the ring gear was in the way.

2. Because of the whole c-clip issue I "clearanced" the ring gear with a very nice Bosch angle grinder. Has anyone ever had this issue or am I just a problem child, or is there possibly a better way to do this. Either way it is done and everything worked out alright.

3. One of my ring gear bolts stripped out, woops. I am now running minus one ring gear bolt, however I ran a ford 9inch this way for years without any problems so I trust this should be okay.

Ok now to the good stuff, the review, the test drive, the characteristics.

1.First thing first, the steering wheel recenters itself very easily and I would say that it is comparable to how fast a vehicle with manual steering would recenter and with about the same amount of force.

2. The vacuum disconecct motor did not have any problems engaging, however disengaging 4WD is a different story, you have to make sure that the wheels are straight and under little to no load to disengage. Not really a big deal and I kind of figure that it was going to act that way.

3. The offroad characteristics are awesomeness, my XJ is at stock height with 215/75/R15's and it likes to drag belly and get hung up on everything. Now the front end just pulls me over everything no problem. My turning radius in the mud and dirt isn't a whole hell of alot different. even with one of the front tires off the ground this thing just powers me right over hills. I test drove on wet pavement with 4WD engaged just to see how it felt and it was a bit of a handfull. I am unsure of how this will handle in the snow and ice but I am going to the ski resort in the morning so I will update.

4. Alot of people complain of a loud ratcheting sound from their locker, in my particular case there was very little noise coming from the locker. After installing the differential cover and filling with gear oil the sound was almost inaudible, however I am deaf after spending a year next to the business end one of the US Army's biggest pieces of artillery.

Please let me know if I have not been clear enough.

Eric

Ok so today Installed an Aussie Locker in my front vacuum disconnect Dana 30. I had a couple issue with it and wanted leet people know what they were and to also find out if other people had the same problems.

1. The passenger

side inner axle shaft was a C-clip axle, because of this I had to install the locker with the carrier installed into the case. With the carrier installed into the case is was impossible for me to install the pinion shaft because the ring gear was in the way.

2. Because of the whole c-clip issue I "clearanced" the ring gear with a very nice Bosch angle grinder. Has anyone ever had this issue or am I just a problem child, or is there possibly a better way to do this. Either way it is done and everything worked out alright.

3. One of my ring gear bolts stripped out, woops. I am now running minus one ring gear bolt, however I ran a ford 9inch this way for years without any problems so I trust this should be okay.

Ok now to the good stuff, the review, the test drive, the characteristics.

1.First thing first, the steering wheel recenters itself very easily and I would say that it is comparable to how fast a vehicle with manual steering would recenter and with about the same amount of force.

2. The vacuum disconecct motor did not have any problems engaging, however disengaging 4WD is a different story, you have to make sure that the wheels are straight and under little to no load to disengage. Not really a big deal and I kind of figure that it was going to act that way.

3. The offroad characteristics are awesomeness, my XJ is at stock height with 215/75/R15's and it likes to drag belly and get hung up on everything. Now the front end just pulls me over everything no problem. My turning radius in the mud and dirt isn't a whole hell of alot different. even with one of the front tires off the ground this thing just powers me right over hills. I test drove on wet pavement with 4WD engaged just to see how it felt and it was a bit of a handfull. I am unsure of how this will handle in the snow and ice but I am going to the ski resort in the morning so I will update.

4. Alot of people complain of a loud ratcheting sound from their locker, in my particular case there was very little noise coming from the locker. After installing the differential cover and filling with gear oil the sound was almost inaudible, however I am deaf after spending a year next to the business end one of the US Army's biggest pieces of artillery.

Please let me know if I have not been clear enough.

Eric

PM sent.

The passenger side inner axle shaft was a C-clip axle, because of this I had to install the locker with the carrier installed into the case. With the carrier installed into the case is was impossible for me to install the pinion shaft because the ring gear was in the way.

A lot of us do away with the c clip. There's nowhere for the axle to go, and it runs along fine without it.

That would've saved you a lot of hassle, but it sounds like you worked around it fine!

Robert

A lot of us do away with the c clip. There's nowhere for the axle to go, and it runs along fine without it.

That would've saved you a lot of hassle, but it sounds like you worked around it fine!

Robert

X2 that c-clip was a delete in later models anyway so I just left it out when I installed mine a year ago. No problems since. Missing one ring gear bolt, I hope you used locktite on the rest.

Ok just a quick update, I just got back from a ski vacation and put 600 miles on. During my adventure I had the opportunity to try the Aussie Locker out on all different types of terrain,including ice and snow. Aussie locker does not reccomend using their product on ice and snow but I had to try it.

The Aussie locker performs awesome in the ice and snow, at least when it is installed in the front axle.

While in 4WD I also noticed that my braking capabilities have seemed to increase too. I will try to post some pics in a few minutes.

I think its pretty important to have that ring gear bolt, ESPECIALLY if its locked and wheeled. The main problem with the d30 that you CANT fix is ring gear strength (you can add a truss, bigger shafts, bigger ball joints, etc..). What happens is the ring gear deflects from itself, then it strips. To prevent this, guys use trusses, and really sturdy diff covers, that lack of a bolt is going to make it flex like a noodle, your ring gear might even break before your shafts do, it is very imporant you have all the bolts. Also, make sure you didnt get any metal shavings in there. If you dont wheel it hard then you might be okay.

Id be really concerned about the ring gear bolt,how did you strip it?You should have been bringing it up to torque in increments?It sounds like you tried to pull the ring gear on to the carrier with the ring gear bolts.

While torquing the bolts (with a tourque wrench) my buddy who was helping me seemed like something was wrong, I told him make sure it's not going to strip it and at that point it was just too late.

If anyone has a D30 ring gear bolt laying around I would love to have it. I would like to get one back in there as soon as I can. I really am not worried about it, however everyone else seems to think it is a problem.

100_0585.jpg

100_0582.jpg

Here is a couple pics from the trip, did a bit of snow wheeling. Never got stuck. There was about a foot of resh snow.

Back