• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

differences in doors?

whitneyj

NAXJA Forum User
What are the differences of the doors from a pre 96 to a 00 XJ? I couldn't seem to find anything . . . How about the hoods?

Hoods are the same. Doors will interchange. 97 and newer has the larger fold away mirrors and no vent windows. Not a direct plug in on the wiring but it can be done

The door latches are in a different location. So you have to move the striker. And the pre-96 have a post type striker, while the 97+ have a loop type striker.

Hoods are the same. Doors will interchange. 97 and newer has the larger fold away mirrors and no vent windows. Not a direct plug in on the wiring but it can be done

So hoods go back and forth across 1996/1997, as well as doors? Not doubting you, but have you swapped them yourself (or know someone personally who has?) I just want to make sure - I'm cranky that way...

IIRC 96+ will not interchange with 95-. Hoods may be the same? Not sure on that one. I think they are. Hatches will not interchange.

5-90 - Damn you have alot of posts. Jeezus. I knew it was alot, but I didn't realize it was THAT many.

IIRC 96+ will not interchange with 95-. Hoods may be the same? Not sure on that one. I think they are. Hatches will not interchange.

5-90 - Damn you have alot of posts. Jeezus. I knew it was alot, but I didn't realize it was THAT many.

I know the hatches won't swap, and I'd thought the doors would not swap as well - makes sense now. I'm not sure about the hoods - people have been known to swap the later sheetmetal on the front clip onto earlier rigs, and I can't remember if that included the hood as well.

(As far as the posts, it's taken a while. High post count, fairly low member number. They kinda go together...)

I know the hatches won't swap, and I'd thought the doors would not swap as well - makes sense now. I'm not sure about the hoods - people have been known to swap the later sheetmetal on the front clip onto earlier rigs, and I can't remember if that included the hood as well.

(As far as the posts, it's taken a while. High post count, fairly low member number. They kinda go together...)

The aftermarket cowl induction hood (Reflexxion) that Quadratec sells is good for 84-01. I would assume they will swap, but I don't know for sure.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55023_003_T.htm

Hoods and doors will both swap with a little mod. It is NOT a direct bolt in.

To put a 97+ hood on you have to replace the latch on the rad support.

To put 97+ doors on you have to take the single post striker off the door jam and put the hoop style one on with a extra bolt hole drilled in the jam.

Hoods and doors will both swap with a little mod. It is NOT a direct bolt in.

To put a 97+ hood on you have to replace the latch on the rad support.

To put 97+ doors on you have to take the single post striker off the door jam and put the hoop style one on with a extra bolt hole drilled in the jam.

Ah crap, that just reminded me Bo. You wanted pictures of my door jambs, didn't you? I will take some today.

Yes, the 97+ doors will work. I've done it twice. On my previous 96 XJ and my current 92 MJ.

Yep, thanks Johnny!

FYI: The hinges are different, how that plays into your question depends on where you were gonna swap at. I've been wanting 96- 2dr doors for the operating vent window.

The hinge pins are different, but the doors will bolt on to either body style hinge. You can easily put any year door you want on any year X/MJ

Wonder who's truck that is?

If you put a 97-01 door in a pre 96 XJ the glove box will not open all the way due to the controls no long being mounted "flush" into the door panel, but on an extended arm rest. JP (I believe) did an article on this not too long ago. Will see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it and they also give some wiring help as well..

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/body/154_0901_jeep_cherokee_xj_door_upgade/index.html

I read that article in my last issue of JP. Thought it was pretty interesting. Would have like to have seen a better picture of how the later model doors look on the vehicle. They did give good thorough info on the wiring, hinges, and latch/stryker.

Wonder who's truck that is?

I wonder whose butt that is. :moon: Oh damn, that's me. :laugh3:

IMG_0001.jpg

Here's how it looks now.

IMG_8454.jpg

And this is how my old 96 with 97 doors looked.

calico06m.jpg

Last edited:
Ah crap, that just reminded me Bo. You wanted pictures of my door jambs, didn't you? I will take some today.

Yes, the 97+ doors will work. I've done it twice. On my previous 96 XJ and my current 92 MJ.

If you could send me copies of the pix as well, I'd appreciate it! Send them to my NAXJA email addy, please.

Back