• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are leaf spring friction pads necessary for bastard pack?

akxj01

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting together a bastard pack and the existing friction pads are shredded. I can't find any for sale anywhere. Do I really need them? Thanks.

If you will take the time to radius and polish the ends you will never know your not using them.Some graphite paint will definately help also!

anyone know a source for the rebound clips, but not the crappy sheetmetal ones that everyone sells, the u-shaped one with the bolt that goes across the top to allow the pack to seperate a little...

Well they are typically riveted to the springs.Making them is the easy part.

I grinded, painted, and used double lipped liner on mine. At 4" and 33s, they'll flex until the tire hits the sheet metal (I need to bumpstop). Heck, at 3.5" and 31s, they did the same.

flexj.jpg

2.JPG

3.JPG

I'm not running any pads with my XJ main under my RC 3" lift packs, havent noticed any difference. Does it make a difference having them? I just sanded the edges down on the leafs, and the ends dont appear to even have pressure on them (they point out for w/e reason)

~Scott

I used a dry teflon spray and took a tip from here and cut out friction pads from plastic oil bottles, seems to work great.

I used a dry teflon spray and took a tip from here and cut out friction pads from plastic oil bottles, seems to work great.
Pics or ban!

In terms of ride quality, some kind of anti-friction remedy is necessary. Otherwise they will ride like they're made out of 2x4's and sound about the same.

In terms of ride quality, some kind of anti-friction remedy is necessary. Otherwise they will ride like they're made out of 2x4's and sound about the same.

I don't have friction pads in my Bronco II bastard pack (XJ main leaf/B2 packs under), and they seem to ride alright and I never hear any squeeking or any other noises. Of course, my jeep is a DD/fishing lake explorer with only 2.5" of lift, so I probably don't put the same stress or flex on it as most of you guys running bigger lifts and tires do. Works for my intended purposes...

I grinded, painted, and used double lipped liner on mine.

Where did you buy 2 1/2" double-lipped liner?
I have searched and can not find a source of it locally or on the web.

I have located everything but the double lipped liner. someone mentioned deaver having it in 100 ft rolls. i don't need near that much for my bastard pack. someone post up if they know of any place that sells smaller rolls or by the ft. thx!

Back