• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PUSH BUTTON START HELP!

TXSizedJeep

NAXJA Forum User
ok so ive got the entire dash appart and the steering column all opened up on my 98 xj....i just want to put a kill switch in the ignition wire for an anti theft kinda thing but what wire do i cut?!

please help if you have done this or know how to do it...thanks

I have one of those installed on mine, but i messed up the little keys that disengage it, so now i have to jiggle it around for forever before i can start it. It came with the jeep when i bought it, iwant to put a switch on it so that i can disengage the device. I have heard that if you try to remove those anti-theft ones it wont ever start.

oook well i jsut started cutting and all was good untill something sparked...now even with the wire connected straight through (how it was originally) it wont do anything. power comes on when the key is in, AC and lights and blinkers work, but the car wont start, when i turn the key NOTHING happens

i really need some help with this one!!

not to hy-jack your post or any thing but we are thinking of a Texas chapter...you guys interested....must join naxja etc etc and be up for group wheeling....

haha sounds good to me...weve got a pretty good club goin down here (ive yet to actually join in on anything bc of various problems and lack of funds) but im sure all the XJ guys in Texas A&M Offroad would come along with me on something like that...if i ever get my POS to start!!!

If you cut a wire and seen it ark you probably have a blown fuse. You should have pulled the battery cables when doing any type of electrical work/welding etc. You can mess a lot up, including your computer. check all fuses the ones under the dash more than likely, then check under the hood. Without having experience with this be careful. By the way you will have power on your ignition switch/start switch all the time, that is on one side of it!

I'm not sure of the question, but if it is "how to wire a push-button starter" here you go:
Find the green wire that runs from the starter relay to the starter and cut it
Take the end that is coming from the starter and splice another wire onto it and run it through the hole where the hood latch cable comes through the firewall. Get a 2 prong push-button and attach the green wire to it and run another wire from the fuse pannel (which is hot when the key is in the on position) to the button. Then all you have to do is turn the key to on and hit the button. This will also bypass the start relay and the NSS and you probably won't have back-up lights.

If it still won't start, check the engine control fuses under the hood.

Back