• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch job advice needed - rounded bolt

javashack

NAXJA Forum User
96, 5 spd, 2wd, 130,000
My clutch went out the other day - I'm pretty sure it's the TO so I had it towed home and I picked up a clutch kit. I have the rear on ramps, have removed the trany cross brace etc, and have a jack under the tranny. I have it lowered and am accessing the two E12 bolts at the top of the bell housing. I have the passenger side out, but the other one is killing me.

I didn't know it was an E12 until I searched threads here later. Anyway, it's rounded and I can't get a grip on it. I've tried the Irwin Bolt extractor but it can't get a grip.

I'm kind of up a creek here and need some help. There's not much room at the top of the housing. What have other people done about this one?

I can't help with the rounded bolt because my '96 5 speed is a 4 cyl. and they have plenty of work room. But, I just did my clutch last week, so I've "been there, done that" and have have some observations.
You didn't mention a jack under the back of the engine. I used a scissors jack to help line up the trans with the flywheel. Be careful with fan / radiator clearance if you move the engine up or down.
It was a pain to get the trans aligned and back in. I needed to have a So. Cal. NAXJA member come over and help, and it still took us over an hour of kicking and twisting (yes I used an alignment tool on the pressure plate/clutch first).
Drain the trans before you remove the drive shaft and/or tip the trans.
Might as well replace the u-joints while you're down there if you haven't already.

Good luck!

My advise with the exact bolt would be to get the newest sharpest set of Vise Grip pliers you have, or get some. Clamp onto that thing harder then you have ever tried to clamp a set of vise grips. You should be able to reach this bolt from the top, reaching down between the engine and the firewall.

Vise Grips have saved my butt in 20+ situations much like what you are dealing with.

CLAMP THE GRIPS HARD. Your first attempt has the best odds of this working.

Good luck
Hank

thanks photographermike. I do have a jack under the engine too.

Big Hank - I'll give the vice grips a shot - I've really got nothing to lose if it doesn't work.

My advice is to put 2-4 of the big bolts and nuts back on the sides(if they aren't already) and bottom and put them on good so that all of the weight isn't resting on the final reverse torx bit. The e12 bit doesn't work at all/won't go on because it is rounded? Have you double checked the one you got out already to make sure you are using the tightest possible e bit? I did get one off with a hex or 12 the first time(before I knew).

cut yourself an access panel in the tranny hump so you can get in there with better tools and actually see what you are doing. maybe weld on a piece of whatever you need. I can't see getting vice grips up in there

I still have two of the big bolts on. I did check the bits with the other one I got out. The larger size looks like it will fit, but the e12 is tight. I can't get either on there now.

I might cut need to cut the access panel - hadn't thought of that.

OK. I finished the clutch job - that bolt was a PITA. I used a dremel EZ lock 1-1/2" cutting wheel on the end of a flex shaft - cut through it and ground down the shoulder. I was then able to remove the remaining bolts and slip the housing right over the bolt.
Those grinding wheels did a great job.

Back