• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Shock

1fox2go

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving the jeep today and it felt funny in the rear, came home took a look and found this
IMG00018.jpg

shock is less than a year old and did not break under off road conditions

anyone have experience with rubicon express warranty its one of their monotubes

Intrepidxj just had an issue with one of their coil springs. He stated that the smallest coil at the top of his passenger side spring broke off and they were sending him two new coils. So I'm sure they will replace your shocks considering it doesn't look like it has taken a direct hit from anything.

You have two shock studs on each side? Why?

Cut the lower one off and gain some ground clearance at least. Give RE a call and see what they have to say about it. I'm thinking they'll want you to send the old one in.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

One or both of two things probably caused this...
1-The shocks are to long and not properly bump stopped
2-Youve got the axle rotated to much without re-aligning the mounts(they look way off)

Looking at the pic your shocks look too short. The shaft is only about 3/4" below where it should be mounted. Without any pressure on them the shocks will fully extend. So if they're fully extended in the pic they are too short and probably got banged around on anything more than a speed bump.

And the alignment looks off from the pic too. Both contributed to that happening.

Call RE

it is rusty at the stud where it was welded from the factory

the lower shock stud is the factory mount, it actually kept rocks from messing up the eye which may get me a warranty

the upper stud is the one I put on to fix the angle of the shock since the rear was rotated

I see what you guys are saying about the length, They are for 7.5 inches of lift, but since I rotated the rear, i had to relocate the shock stud. I would ask is it possible I have the incorrect shock length from the start? Even using the factory mount it would have been fully extended at ride height, also something to consider, the jeep is on a lift and is hanging in the air. Sorry I'm in a hurry for work, its christmas, little stressed, any input is fantastic thanks guys

Just because it didnt give under offroad conditions doesnt mean thats not wher it happened. You must has a problem, you shocks are too long/short and your bump stops are the wrong lenght. It looks like you cracked it and it held together for a while (reason its all corroded) then it just happened to give way on the street.
But just call RE and im sure they will ship you a new one.

It looks like you cracked it and it held together for a while (reason its all corroded) then it just happened to give way on the street.

Which (the crack) probably was a result of an incorrect angle for the bolt welded to the bracket (above the oe bolt) and occured at some earlier, and probably off-road, event. The crack held together and expanded and rusted until it took little, if any, flex to break it clean off. Culprit? Axle rotation would be my guess. Faulty manufacturing would come in only after you rule out the angle of the welded on bolt to the normal line of the shock.

i wonder if the nut was over tighened and the shock bushing couldnt rotate slightly when the axle moves up or down.

Nut was taken off with a wrench wasn't hard to break at all. As for lift I have RE 5.5 leaves and a RE boomerang so 7.5 on paper.

The angle could be off but its extremely close as we took our time and got the angle the best we could. We installed it at ride height with the vehicle's weight on the suspension.

Back