• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FOrd 8.8 trac-loc reviews

ricot83

NAXJA Member #1297
I finally got my jeep all back together to my liking, and have yet to go off road with it since the ford swap. I am just wondering what people think about their 8.8 rear ends and how they handle offroad with the stock lsd.

My clutch paks were wicked tight in there and it seems to go sideways quite easy in the rain. Hopefully I will be offroad with it soon if works allows.

Thanks
Rico

It is what it is,so dont expect it to act like a locker.When new they work well for light to moderate wheeling.
Dont forget to add the friction modifier!

I got the driction modifier lol... I was reading about repacking clutches and stuff, so sometime down the road I could always do that. Like I said it works great on the road for what it is, just gotta take it off road

Ive always had good luck with trac-loks for the light trails around here. You can rebuild them and add extra friction disks to the pack and get them to act just like a locker. There are plenty threads that can walk you through this if you find its too loose for the wheeling you do.

I've never been impressed with an LSD in any vehicle I've owned. The one in my 8.8 seems to work about as well as the one in my Mustang's 8.8 did... which is not very.

I pull the ebrake up a couple clicks and it seems to help alot.

Ive always had good luck with trac-loks for the light trails around here. You can rebuild them and add extra friction disks to the pack and get them to act just like a locker. There are plenty threads that can walk you through this if you find its too loose for the wheeling you do.

No kiddin? Wow thats interesting.

When I had an 96 6explorer with less than 150k I hated that rear end. It never held, it was almost as bad as an open carrier.
It also could have been because it was a FORD!

All depends on type of wheeling you do, and what part of the country your in. i really like my lsd in the rear with locker in front for the type of wheeling i do. i don't like the front end push you get with front and rear lockers. normally we don't get much snow here, last 2 days are the exception! also i don't do any heavy duty rock crawling. even though i am only 10 miles from the hammers. use mine for hunting and trail riding.so far havn't had a problem getting where i need to go.a properly operating lsd does what it was designed to do.it isn't a locker and never will be.

I've never been impressed with an LSD in any vehicle I've owned. The one in my 8.8 seems to work about as well as the one in my Mustang's 8.8 did... which is not very.

I pull the ebrake up a couple clicks and it seems to help alot.

Its better than an open carrier though!

Its better than an open carrier though!
Not by much,you can do the brake trick w/ an open carrier and achive the same results(which isnt much).

Big difference between open and a properly working lsd traction wise.

X2 big time and with a little work you can go independent e-brakes and get even better proformance out it. As well as helping in tight turns (somtime).
It will NEVER be as hard on axles as a locker.
Independant e-brakes and a 5 speed can keep your right hand real bizzy on the trail.
Were as with a locker and a slush box all you do is stomp and steer.

Last edited:
Back