• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA troubles

Philprof

NAXJA Forum User
I installed ZJ coils today...they were added to a RE BB. everything went great until it came time to reconnect the LCAs...no go. After an hour or so of :banghead:which led to :smsoap:, I am now asking for:helpme:. Searches have given me very little to go on. Looking for:

1. suggestions on best and safest way to reconnect.

and

2. If it would be worth it to get adj. LCAs (I'll probably be getting an RE 4.5 SF in the next year, provided we are not all in bread lines by then :()

I will be at a little over 3" when its put back together.

thanks in advance

I'm guessing the axle rotated forward when it was disconnected. If this is the case, you can use ratchet straps and a bottle jack to get it back in place.

Decide on the lowers once you get it back together and see how it drives. When I was at 3 inches I got death wobble which went away when I switched to aftermarket lowers, but I think my stock bushings were just wore out and new bushings would have fixed it.

I'm guessing the axle rotated forward when it was disconnected. If this is the case, you can use ratchet straps and a bottle jack to get it back in place.

Decide on the lowers once you get it back together and see how it drives. When I was at 3 inches I got death wobble which went away when I switched to aftermarket lowers, but I think my stock bushings were just wore out and new bushings would have fixed it.

Can you elaborate on the strap/jack solution? I have an LP D30 if it matters...

thanks

Can you elaborate on the strap/jack solution? I have an LP D30 if it matters...

thanks

Can you elaborate on "no go?"

If the holes in the bracket don't line up with the hole in the c/a bushing, use the strap/jack to push/pull the axle til it does line up...

I actually had to pull the drivers side back (by strapping off the rear axle), and the pass side forward, strapping from a heavy workbench. I wish I had parked where I could've strapped off my tow rig.

Good luck!

Robert

Anytime that I have had to remove control arms I've used ratcheting straps to get them back inline. There are several places in the back to use. The front I the grinder stand that I have bolted down.

Taking out the springs helped for mine. Then I massaged it with a hammer. I have no idea why removing the springs helped since they weren't tight but whatever.

My front axle needs to be pulled forward to get the holes to line up...I've gotten close...need about a 1/4 of an inch

That clears it up a little...

Is there anyting in front of your jeep as it sits, solid enough to run a strap off of?

Like I said, I used a big heavy workbench, but I'da rather used the tow rig if I could have.

Robert

The the LCAs are in! I used the bottle jack to push the spring seat and the LCA bracket apart...worked unbelievably well. To set up for this, I placed a jack stand on a board and placed deep well sockets under so it would roll. I lowered the jeep onto the jackstand and placed the bottle jack between the aforementioned two points...and, viola, bolts in...

thanks for the suggestions

Cool! Way to think outside the box.

But really, wouldn't the axle have just rolled forward on the wheel and tire, without the "rolling jackstand" bit?

:dunno:

But good job, anyway!

Robert

Back