• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

29 spl. 8.25 in '96

MuckSavage

NAXJA Forum User
I set out to install my lock rite yesterday in my '96 XJ. I bought a 1230-LR, the correct one for 8.25, 27 splines up to '96. I take out my spider gears, go to intall the lock-rite & discover that I have 29 spline axles. My neighbor is the original owner of my XJ, and any work done after his warranty was up was done by me. (Nobody ever swapped a rear in it)

Maybe I have a late '96 that wound up with a '97 & up rear? Anyone have a clue?

I have yet to see a 96 that didnt have the 29 spline axle.

A few years ago, I installed a lock-rite in my bro-in-laws '96 & that had a 27 spline, so I didn't think twice. Thanks for the replies.

Lock Rite doesn't make a 29 spline unit, do they? Does Aussie?

aussie and powertrax

The 96 I stripped had a 27spl rear.

sweet, that's what i've been beating on for almost a year too... at one point, one of the little springs that goes inside the big springs got a little tweaked but i straightened it a bit and it still works great. it's now in another axle without any issues. it should treat you well.

They are in the 96.5's. Not sure exactly what sure what month they switched, but Id also be interested if we could pin point it.

If you have a 96' the best way to be sure is to pull an axle before you order anything and count.

How many 96's have you looked at, and what was the earliest production date (if you can remember)?
3 that ive worked on,never payed anymore attention after that,just treated them as 97+'s(as they also had the late model t-case)!

Best Ive been able to narrow it down to is somewhere around July of 96 they changed from 27 to 29. I think mine is a Sept. XJ and its a 29.
They changed the T-case output at the beginning of 96 I think.

ray h your post seems to be correct according to my 96, built 10/95 had the t case with no extension, and 27 spline shafts. was hoping for 29's but i was putting zj discs on that day so it didnt break my heart too bad :gee:

Back