• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! I can't figure this one out!

toast

NAXJA Forum User
My new XJ has a ticking noise that is loud, and not consistent. My cousin had a starter that sounded pretty similar. The gear that kicks out was not retracting, and pinging off of the flywheel. The pinging is most apparent at idle, and the noise seems to be coming from the top half of the back of the block. The niose nearly goes away (changes tone, and frequency) under load. Over 3k on the road you cant hear it over the road noise. I determined the location with a stethoscope, and I can tell that the bottom of the block is not the source, but the tone is there more than anywhere else (Yellow Arrows). A new starter did not solve it, so I was going to remove the oil pan and look underneath, but it does not sound like its from under the pan now. I tweaked the dust shield, and the tick is not as apparent, but definetly still there. One of the 4 TC bolts were loose, but didnt change anything. Have a listen for yourself. What do you think? Jeep runs, and drives 100% normal. 79k on it.

Not my pics, but Im not sure what could be loose between the two? I also like how it completely goes away when the motor is coming down from a rev. Turn up the volume to get a better feel for it!

DSC03530.jpg

aw4-59a.jpg

aw4-59b.jpg

aw4-56.jpg

Video:

Wow that is quite the strange noise. I had a similar noise on a Jag i worked on. It turned out it had a cracked flexplate. I changed the flexplate and torque converter and it fixed it. I would start by taking off the transmission if I were you. You could get a better idea of what you're working with.

Well I spent more time trying to find my E12 socket than I did the removing the tranny. Just an FYI, an E14 wont work! You deserve a gold star! I will replace the tranny filter in the AM, and hopefully get her back on the road. Thanks for the help! The cracks were almost 360° around the bolts!

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

Other side:
IMG_3586.jpg

Man that was cracked to the point of separation. The engine oil most likely from rear main.

Glad you find the problem.

Nick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEcXQ4jjxZI

after reading your thread, I likely have a cracked flexplate.

mine goes quiet in gear, gets better as the engine warms up. rattle shows up in park when the revs come back down.
Well mine wasnt loud for starting it, but shutting it off sounds very similar to yours. Bummer that you have to split the tranny just to find out. I bought the Jeep as is, so I dont know what the early stages sounded like. Mine got louder as the motor warmed up though.

Back