• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm Ready to post

Pigpen

NAXJA Forum User
Hello NAXJA,

This is my first post. I've been lurking for quite some time now. The information I've gleened from this forum is amazing. (soon to pony up and become a member!)

I have a 1988 four door SE with the I-6 and the pugouet 5-speed with 168,xxx miles

I have done the cluster swap, installed the ford 19# injectors and have replaced numerious worn-out parts from the local junkyards. (OHC and soundbar and headliner from one old XJ was my best day!)

Now for my question.........................

I am about to replace the steering box and pump. Mine is leaking from the bottom seal, right above the pitman arm. I understand about removing the pitman arm with a puller. But how is the best way to reinstall the pitman arm on the new steering box? Should I just realine it and pound it on or is there a tool for this job. Also, how far up should i put the new arm? My thinking is to push it up to the line of grunge that is already on the splined output shaft.

thanks to all who have helped me even if they don't even know they did.

Lee

hello lee....i havnt done mine yet but iam going to replace my oem with a tj oem to get that 3 to 1 steer,and install some steel on the mounting base....once you complete you exchange throw some pics and hints up bro...welcome around...||charles||

Philadelphia, Pa huh?? Cool, another local member (soon). Once the box is mounted, count the revolutions lock to lock of the steering wheel, then put it in the center. Make sure the wheels are straight, line up the pitman arm (really only goes on one way) and slip it on, then put the lock washer and nut on and tighten it up as tight as it will go. When it stops turning, its tight. Yer done.

Thank- you.

The process will begin this weekend. I am PB blasting the nut and splined shaft daily and will report back when I complete the job. I just have to hunt down a new power steering return hose. The parts counter guy says they don't go bad, but I read a good write up saying to cut the old one off because when you pull it off the fitting you may brake the fitting on the reservior.

Lee

Pigpen said:
Thank- you.

The process will begin this weekend. I am PB blasting the nut and splined shaft daily and will report back when I complete the job. I just have to hunt down a new power steering return hose. The parts counter guy says they don't go bad, but I read a good write up saying to cut the old one off because when you pull it off the fitting you may brake the fitting on the reservior.

Lee

If you're careful you won't break it and you won't need to replace the hose. Loosen the clamp, and then don't just pull . First, make sure the clamp is all the way off, or slipped down the hose, because the nipple on the reservoir is barbed, and the clamp will still hold a little even when it's loose. The give the hose a little twist on the nipple. If it turns freely you can continue to twist and pull and it will come off. If it doesn't turn, don't pull it off until you've either freed it to turn (sometimes gripping it gently with pliers will free it), or sliced it. Take a sharp knife and slice it lengthwise, only about 3/4 inch, and it will wiggle right off. There should be enough hose left to reuse if you just trim the end neatly.

My problem has always been getting it loose at the steering box. It may be best to remove the steering box with this line still attached, then remove it on the bench with the correct tool. If you can't get it loose, and need a new return line, go to a Napa. All of the chain stores (Autozone, Advance, Pep Boys) just have a piece of hose that they'll sell you for $25. Napa has the whole thing steel part (with the correct bends) and all, and I think I paid $10 for it.

Also, as a side note, Advance will tell you that they can order it in (the part with the steel line), but trust me, the steel line has all the wrong bends, it has the wrong fitting at the steering box AND it is $20. GO to a Napa store.

HTH's I went through this excercise in frustration a about a month ago.

Andy

Last edited:
Mission Acomplished!!!

I broke a pittman arm puller and still did not get the old one off! So, I opted to just pop the ball joint and install the new steering box, and pitman arm together. Filled the pump and waited, then with the front end jacked up I cycled thewheels left and right slowly untill the fluit level stoped droping and filled to the "cold level" on the little dipstick.

I now have about five degrees of play in the wheel instead of about twenty. It't like driveing a new jeep.

About a two on the toughness scale. But man, o man what a differance.

Happy motoring to all.

Lee

Back