• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint help

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
So i got theb top on out but the bottom one just wont come. I'm using the cheap HF balljoint press but even with the impact and or breaker bar i just won't budge Tried some PB blaster I'm at a loss please help.

try heating it up with a torch. maybe heating it up, then hitting it with a deadblow hammer. it might loosen it enough so you can get your press to knock out the bottom.

No disrespect but just checking to make sure that your are trying to press it out the correct way? I have seen quite a few people try for 2 days pressing the wrong way and when it was done the right way it popped right out.

Ya tried both ways thought the same thing. The lip on the new one looks like it would have to be pushed down from the top. Correct?

I've had pretty good luck hitting (BFH) the part of the knuckle that surrounds the ball joint with it under pressure from the press.
It's also difficult to get the press straight, even with the XJ adapters. I've had to shim the press with a piece of flat stock to get it lined up with the ball joint and pressing as straight as possible.
Wear eye protection, I had one knuckle explode from a hidden casting flaw, while using the torch.

x2 on tighten the press, that another 1/4 to 1/2 turn, than give the knuckle a few taps with a hammer.
that should loosen it a bit, then tighten press, tap, repeat until its good.

if tapping doesn't work, tap harder. I had to give mine a good couple cracks with the ballpean to get it moving, but once it does it is good to go.

x2 on tighten the press, that another 1/4 to 1/2 turn, than give the knuckle a few taps with a hammer.
that should loosen it a bit, then tighten press, tap, repeat until its good.

if tapping doesn't work, tap harder. I had to give mine a good couple cracks with the ballpean to get it moving, but once it does it is good to go.
Yep that worked thanks a ton:kissyou: just got it

hope the other side goes better:gee:

Oh and yes I was pushing the right direction:laugh3:

I've heard that the HF balljoint presses bend and don't put the pressure/tension where needed. You could rent one from AutoZone or Advance Auto and see how that does.

Ya I got the one side done with my POS HF press but I'm gona go get on from AZ in the AM for the otherside. Thanks for all the advise guys

Ya but now I've got 3" of snow to work in today. CRAP

When I was taking the ball joints out of my extra axle for a rebiuld/turd polish and regear I used a BFH, PB Blaster, air hammer and a torch to warm it up with no successes on any of them. Finally I took my 4.5in grinder and cut the top off flush wiht the knuckle, still wouldnt budge. Next I went for the cutting tip on the torch and cut the center right out of the ball joints and punched them out. Beware of grease pockets, they explode, but I didn't have to worry, there was no grease in any of my ball joints, they had about 1/4" of play in them.
And yes, i was hitting them the correct way.

~Alex

Back