• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help engine trouble

xjman96

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my exhaust manifold with a brand new due to cracks.
I have previously removed it and had it welded, finally decided to replace it.
Everything went well till I tried to start it it ran really rough and sounded really bad, never before like this. Even had metallic noises like the engine has a problem. Don't get it, it is a pretty straight forward job.
Is it possible that the exhaust manifold has a blockage somewhere?
On top of it the fuel filter started leaking. Amazing, two completely unrelated problems hitting me at the same time.
Any ideas?

What year is it? Are you sure you put the injector connectors back on correctly? Did you have any hardware "left over"?

What year is it? Are you sure you put the injector connectors back on correctly? Did you have any hardware "left over"?

'96, 4.0 Auto. No hardware left over, I would have to try hard to mix the wires, they were hanging on top of the injectors.

Double checked the injector wires, all good.
Is it possible that the computer went nuts when I disconnected all the connectors on the intake?
I just disconnected the battery, to see if it resets.

I need to get it running. It is my DD.
I had to disconnect all the connectors on top of the intake.
It is possible that a wire is screwed up, I hate to take everything apart again.
Any ideas welcome.

Hard to say. You could have pinched a sensor wire, dropped something down the exhaust pipe, didn't get the right torque on the lower manifold bolts, yada, yada.... Did you stuff any rags or paper into any port to keep stuff from falling in?

When I replaced mine on my 88, I had slight intake leak that developed a rather odd whistle during high vacuum periods while warming up, none at any other times. I had to redo the job and use hi-temp rtv to help ensure a good seal.

Hard to say. You could have pinched a sensor wire, dropped something down the exhaust pipe, didn't get the right torque on the lower manifold bolts, yada, yada.... Did you stuff any rags or paper into any port to keep stuff from falling in?

It didn't stay open long enough, in and out. I checked the injector wires from the computer to the individual connectors all good and correct.
I pulled the exhaust manifold off, I'm putting the old one in as soon as I get a new gasket.

Just finished everything, she is purring like a kitten. Except of the exhaust leak from the crack, that is.
I looked the new manifold over, stuck a fuel hose through to check for obstructions, looks good as far as I can tell.
I don't get it.

I can only guess that it didn't seal properly. Is the flange on the new one the same thickness as the old?

I can only guess that it didn't seal properly. Is the flange on the new one the same thickness as the old?

On the outside it looked great, I put them side by side, didn't see anything.
As for sealing at the head, I have no doubt that it was good because when I pulled the intake it had three bolts holding it on the head and it looked good.
I think it was internal, whatever it was.

Just took a look at a pic of the new manifold, how much movement was in the front and rear pipes due to the flex joints in those pipes? Wondering if that affected the ability of those two cyl's to seal properly? Any evidence on the gasket?

So what are you going to do about the crack now? You going to swap in the new one again? (3rd time's a charm).

Just took a look at a pic of the new manifold, how much movement was in the front and rear pipes due to the flex joints in those pipes? Wondering if that affected the ability of those two cyl's to seal properly? Any evidence on the gasket?

I don't think there was any movement, there is a steel piece that keeps everything lined up. The gasket matched it perfectly.

So what are you going to do about the crack now? You going to swap in the new one again? (3rd time's a charm).

The crack cannot be welded. it is right between the two vertical tubes at the very bottom.
I got a refund on the new. In the next week or two I will get another manifold, different brand, and try again. I might even call the dealer.
Next time I'd like to do it once only.

Practice makes perfect ;)

(Believe me, I know firsthand)

Practice makes perfect ;)

(Believe me, I know firsthand)

I know a welder who is willing to try to weld it through the bottom opening, or fill the space between the two tubes.
What the heck, I am thinking of giving it a try during the weekend if I get a chance. I can remove/install it faster now, like you said practice makes perfect :cry:

Back