• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Simple/Stupid Question

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
So on the AW4 theres Park, Reverse, Neutral ect. What are the differences between D, 3 and 12? This is the first automatic I've driven that I actually care what those mean, and theres no manual in the car so I'm curious. Thanks!

D- gives you all the gears plus overdrive
3- locks out overdrive, can be useful towing
1/2- locks out both OD and 3rd. Useful 4wheeling when in 4lo, or possibly towing.

basically it gives you some control over what gear you are using. I generally leave my stock truck in Drive. I use 3rd occasionally on my lifted cherokee with 33's, and I use it towing.

As above, however the 1-2 setting also changes the shift points so that 1st is used until very high RPMs.

I like to use 3 when driving around town since I rarely get up to sufficient speed to warrant overdrive, I hate having to kick the tranny out of overdrive frequently, and 3rd with tc lockup is generally better for ~40 mph anyway

Back