• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case grinding

rockjockphatts

NAXJA Forum User
So here's my situation:

My transfer case is making noise, and it's been getting worse. Above 55 mph or so, under acceleration, there's a bit of a rumble that I feel in the car more than I hear. From what I can hear however, it is a mechanical vibration/noise. It all but disappears when I let off the gas. More to the point, my transfer case has made more noise than I'd like when in 4 HI (231), there's no grinding, but that chain sure seems to make quite a bit of noise. Fluid at the time looked good. Well after this summer, I ran the transfer case through all of its positions and realized the noise was now twice as loud. Additionally, and what really has me worried is I started it up, shifted the transmission (Auto) into drive-let it idle, and the transfer case into neutral. I then got under the jeep to see/feel/hear anything that I could. It felt quite rough, I might even say it felt like metal was grinding-no noise really, but it felt like things were not running smoothly.

It's a 98 with 151,xxx, NP231, 4L, Auto, stock as far as suspension and drivetrain go and it's blue ;). I've noticed that there's been a leak that I have yet to determine where it's coming from. It's definately ATF-so either the transmission or the x-fer case. Since my tranny is doing ok, and my transfer case seems to be having difficulty, I'm going to say it's the transfer case. It's coming from the front half of the case. I just haven't had the time to check it out. I am also going to check my fluid level tomorrow.

Any thoughts? I've read into rebuild kits-I'm moderately mechanically inclined-the first time's a bitch-then I've got it--how hard are they to do-any experiences?

Thanks

Sounds like your chain is about to give up the ghost on ya!!

I've not done a chain on a 231 yet, but from everything I've read and seen, it doesn't look to be too much of a PITA. IIRC, you're just cracking the case and can do it on the vehicle...... now, since it's blue, I don't want to make any definitive statements, as I've only worked on white and red ones, but I did pull parts in the JY from a blue one and it was definitely an ornery S.O.B.:wave1:

Back