• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone use a CB?

snyder

NAXJA Forum User
If so where did you mount your antennae? I can't seem to find a spot that I like and I have a short whip. Any pics would be great.

DSCF1765.jpg

Not the best picture I have, but it is the best one I can find right now. I used a bracket to attach it to a truck mirror and bolted that to the bumper to move it out of the way of the tail gate. Works good, it is out of the way.

Drivers Side front fender (between the hood and fender). Wilson 2000? 5' long SS whip?

Michael

Drivers side Fender is the best place up front. as the guy at D&R communications, said, your eye will always be on the drivers side the most with tree's and what not.

I wouldnt want it on the rear bumper, but if i could make it work, i wouldnt mind it on top of the rig, maybe mounted to a rack or something..

Amazon.com

I got all firestick antenna/cable stuff and a Cobra CB. A 3' adjustable stick on drivers front fender.

~Scott

Mine:

IMG_1464.jpg

Just a piece of 3/8 steel bent and bolted up under there with a hole in it for the antenna

What makes my setup so undesirable?
The NW trails are tight. You can't fit fender flares through much less a small bracket likje that.

Fair enough. I plan on mounting it just inside my passenger side taillight when I do my swing out tire carrier. That MIGHT get done over t-giving. I'll post pics here when it does get done.

Fair enough. I plan on mounting it just inside my passenger side taillight when I do my swing out tire carrier. That MIGHT get done over t-giving. I'll post pics here when it does get done.

I've seen a few mounted to the tire carrier that worked well.

I have mine midway on my roof rack at a backward sloping angle. Maximum range and it can be tucked down if need be.

One important lesson I learned a few years ago: If you're using a stiff fiberglass antenna like a firestick, make sure you mount it on a spring. Otherwise it will break against branches or overhangs.

X2 on a spring, but make sure you have the right one. I ran a HD one for awhile, and must have snapped at least 3 antennas. I finally swapped it out for one with a softer spring-rate, and its worked great for over year now.

Range wise your best bet is in the center of your roof. Realisticly, towards the rear of your hood along a fender is best. I've just got a GI Joes whatever antenna and it works GREAT on the passenger side fender up at the front. And yes, springs are your friend!

Magnetic antenna base on the roof, route the cable through the gap at the upper corner of the hatch and close it carefully. Seems to work okay, except when it doesn't.

Back