• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Flipped Centers

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Im in need of some new wheels with the 5x5.5 bolt pattern, and while Im at it Im going to be doing some DIY beadlocks.

At the moment I have 15x8s with 2.5'' of backspacing, and would like to keep that width, or as close to possible. However, I have a problem.

When researching I found that at some point the centers of the wheel get flipped, meaning that the safety bead would be on the outside of the wheel, making it super hard to get the tires mounted from the outside, or mounting them from the inside.

Does anyone know when the centers flip? Would wheel manufacturers be able to not do the flip? And is there a reason to even flip the wheels?

Picture for an idea of what I am talking about:
image002.jpg

Interesting question. So, with beadlocks (DIY or otherwise), the tire gets mounted from the back? I thought it got mounted over the beadlock side (which used to be the safety bead?

I would have just thought, "Beadlock on the outside, safety bead on the inside... sweet!" :D

Billy

Im most likely not explaining myself correctly.

On most wheels there is a safety bead on the inside of the wheel. At some point wheel manufactures flip the center of the wheel so that now the safety bead is on the outside of the wheel.

Normally that wouldnt be a problem, but since I would like to do beadlocks, this makes things a bit harder.

I would either have to mount the tires from the outside, and somehow get the inner wheel bead over the safety bead, or mount them from the back and get the outer bead over the safety bead.

Does that make sense?

Also, apparently without the safety bead on the inner side, you would have a better chance of blowing inner beads, which I would also like to avoid.

There is a safety bead on both the inside and outside of a standard rim(except for split rims). When you cut the rim for a bead lock, you only cut the outside face off, and weld the ring on in it's place. The outer safety bead is still on the rim, but is no longer used.

Maybe what you read was about factory Jeep Cherokee wheels. The factory wheels used to have the rim centers dished out(center bulged out in a dome) At some point, they re-designed the centers, and now they dish in. Boty types of wheels have about the same back spacing, and the contour of the rim where the tire seats is the same.

Last edited:
There is a safety bead on both the inside and outside of a standard rim(except for split rims). When you cut the rim for a bead lock, you only cut the outside face off, and weld the ring on in it's place. The outer safety bead is still on the rim, but is no longer used.

Maybe what you read was about factory Jeep Cherokee wheels. The factory wheels used to have the rim centers dished out(center bulged out in a dome) At some point, they re-designed the centers, and now they dish in. Boty types of wheels have about the same back spacing, and the contour of the rim where the tire seats is the same.
I have read several different things from several different sources that say there is only one safety bead.

Triaged said:
To start with they are not DOT legal. Most are marked "For Off-Road Use Only" or "Race Use Only".

Now to backspacing. Most wheels are made so the tire goes on from the outboard side of the wheel. When you go below a certain backspace (often around 3") they will flip the rim so the outside is now on the inside. They call it a reversed center wheel. If you put a beadlock on the outside of a reverse center wheel it will be very hard to mount...and getting help from a tire shop can be difficult because they are not DOT legal wheels.

I know for a fact that you can order steel wheels by Crager and US Wheel from Summit. I have a set of Crager 17x8 3.5" backspace wheels that I custom ordered from Summit. Find the style you want, give them a call, and ask for someone that can help you with a custom backspace wheel order. There will be an extra charge for custom backspacing wheels. Be sure to tell them you are ok with a reverse center wheel.

This might also be of some help
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197981
From here:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/beadlock-wheels-street-useable-140313.html

lol at the not DOT legal.

And another:
2.5" BS'ed wheels bring the suck since the centers get flipped. You have now bead locked the former inner bead side now that is not as needed for most. Once you get them mounted I hope you do not have inner bead failures.
From here:
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180403&page=5

dude... just buy my aluminum's.

I only ever lost a bead once, and I was hella bound up, and it was on the cracked rim, that would be your spare.

I'll bring em to JV for ya. :D
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=974077
My Jeep isnt cool enough to have the bling. Besides, everyone knows the high school girls at the mall love them beadlock wheels.

But really, I seem to recall you saying you have ~4'' of BS. I would like something around 2.5'' of BS.

I guess I will have to call the wheel companies to see what actually happens. Should have done that first. :twak:

I ordered heavy duty steel wheels from Early Wheel Company.
http://www.earlywheel.com/products.html
If you scroll down to Wheel Backspacing Charts, they explain reversed wheels, and give the optional specs.
"Reversed wheels have rims tuned around on the centers which allows for less backspace and deeper front space."

I have read several different things from several different sources that say there is only one safety bead.

The picture you posted shows safety beads on the inside and outside btw.

hth.

Back