• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differential fluid in Washington?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
About to throw on a new diff. cover on the Dana 30, and I figured I'd replace the fluid in the rear as well as the front. I'm willing to bet the fluid has never been changed, or atleast was rarely changed...and my rig has over 200k on it. So I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Also, I dont plan on keeping the D35 for long, and I'm not 100% whether I'll keep the front D30 or not (might try and find a HP when I gear and lock, likely will be in less than 30k miles).

So yeah, whats best? I understand weather makes a difference...I've heard Lucas is preffered, but is it worth the extra cash?

~Scott

If you're not sure you're keeping the axles, replace the oil with cheap Walmart brand 90 weight. Also, If you do a lot of water crossings, I would run cheap stuff because you should change it more often. I run Redline Synthetic in mine.

Everybody has there own preferance. I believe as long as it is changed regularly it doesn't make that much difference (meaning changing it regularly is more important than anything else). Having said that, I prefer synthetic oils and run them in every application on my XJ because of the amount of abuse/water/dirt it is likely to see. If I were in your shoes and were not sure how long you were keeping it I would probably just put some "regular" correct weight fluid in them and save the money. If you do decide to keep them and re-gear you will be changing the fluid regularly anyway and you can eventually go to your "prefered choice" after that break in period.

Michael

If you're not sure you're keeping the axles, replace the oil with cheap Walmart brand 90 weight. Also, If you do a lot of water crossings, I would run cheap stuff because you should change it more often. I run Redline Synthetic in mine.

X2 get the cheap stuff, I would grab the larger 4 or 5qt and a pump its way easier to change that way (and you don't waste as much). I also pic up and extra one and always keep it in the jeep.

Makes sence. So does the weight make much difference? I've read things change in varrious climits.

~Scott

P.S. I plan on cleaning the diffs for both front and rear and re-sealing it. I have some permate ultra black RTV Silicone, I take it this should work well?

Last edited:
i got the spendy stuff on mine, but thats cuz of the locker and the new gears, and thats what napa had, lol.

but it came in a nifty thing where ya just cut the top off, and pour it in (funnel spout)

90 wt it is. Thanks. I'll make a trip to walmart tomorrow after I get my paycheck to get some more paint for my bumper, and diff fluid. :)

~Scott

Walmart? Try napa...

-Alex
Just don't get a bottle that has no brand name. Walmart is fine as long as you are getting a brand that has a decent reputation. The commodities like oil and air freshners are the same at a parts store as at a discount retail store. But also remember that if you really like the guys at your local parts store they only have jobs because you buy there.

Don't go to effin' Wal-Mart. Support your local NAPA or even Shucks/Pep Boys. Keep our money in actual auto parts stores, leave the slave-wage conglomerates to fend for themselves.

Don't go to effin' Wal-Mart. Support your local NAPA or even Shucks/Pep Boys. Keep our money in actual auto parts stores, leave the slave-wage conglomerates to fend for themselves.

x2

x3. i love the guys at napa at home. they've been there forever, and they generally know whenever i come in its for jeep stuff. i dont even haveta tell em what year anymore lol.

Hey Scott, why are you going to swap out your D30 for a high pinion? Low pinion didn't come out until late 1999.

What's wrong with spending money at Wal-Mart? They hire local employees, and your money stays just as "local" at Wal-Mart as it does at the auto parts stores.

NAPA, Shucks, Pep Boys, etc. are all conglomerates as well...

AND...since I know you're gonna say it anyway...Wal-Mart does not pay very well, BUT they hire people that otherwise would not be employable elsewhere. So support your local Wal-Mart that is giving people jobs that would otherwise collect a government assitance check.

Well I'll stop by Napa on my way to walmart to see what the price differences are. (they're right next to eachother) If there's not significant difference in price (~$10) then I'll buy from Napa, otherwise, I'm on a tight budget. I'd like to support Napa...but I only get $130 every 2 weeks. And it happens to be I need to buy a shit load of spray paint for my bumper and door protection.

~Scott

Went to NAPA...picked up "NAPA Premium performance gear oil SAE 80W-85W-90". It was the cheapest stuff they had at $5 a quart (next to buying a gallon)...I figure I'll buy one of the gallon jugs and refil the fancy little NAPA bottles to keep in the rig/fill easily.

~Scott

Back