• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BDS for '99 XJ

bradford027

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been debating going w/ a BDS 3" lift kit. Ive searched this site and havent found much info, so Im fishing for opinions. The kit is going to run $530 w/ shocks and comes w/ an AAL and 5/8 block in back and coils up front. It also has a trackbar bracket, trans. case drop, and sway bar links. It doesnt come w/ LCA's or a steering stabilizer. 99% of the time my xj is on the road right now. A few years from now it may be a trail rig but for now an occasional field to get to a hunting site is about all it will see. If anyone knows of a kit that is better for the same money please chime in.

seems like a lot of money for not getting new spring packs. i dont like the idea of a track bar bracket, an adjustable track bar would be best. if the front end is set up properly, there is no need for a fancy(overpriced) steering stabiliser if your front end is set up proporly, a $30 stock replacement is good enough.

there are numerous ways to get a 3" lift. you could do it for $100 or you could do it for $800. i started with rustys 3" lift with new spring packs and built up in stages from that.

what is your budget?

My budget is right around $500, I guess what im looking for is the most complete, best riding kit for my price range. Upgrades can come into play later. I was also looking at a RC seriesII 3". The things I dont like about it are it does nothing for the trackbar,not even a bracket. It also has extended brackets for the front sway bar instead of links.The RC kit is cheaper but most folks here seem to not like the ride so much. The RC kit does come w/ the Nitro shocks though.

Last edited:
I have run both kits on 2 XJ's in the past. The BDS kit was my 1st. Purchased their springs and full leaf packs for the rear. Ran this setup with OME shocks and was happy with the ride. It is a TRUE 3" kit. Meaning, you will get only 3" of lift. I ended up using a 1" spacer in the front and a 3/4" TeraFlex shackle in the back. Rode well, never had any issues. For the track bar, I used a JKS. No experience with the BDS relocation junk.
It's better to re-drill on the stock bracket than use a relocation bracket.

Rough Country stuff is not bad at all. Their warranty department is top notch. I had a pair of sagging front springs and bad shocks. Dude hooked me up with a killer deal on 2 new springs and shocks. I will say, their low budget shocks are LOW budget. Ended up swapping them out for a pair of Bilsteins--never looked back. Their coils ride well and give a hair over 3" of lift.

Go with the RE 3.5" Superflex Kit. I got the lift for $400 and then bought Pro Comp shocks for $100, so $500 total. I got 4 wheel parts to price match those prices for me as it would have cost $750 before. If you want, I can prob. scan a copy of my invoice so that you can use it as leverage to get them to price match it for you again.

The lift is excellent and gives a better than stock ride and great off-road performace. You can fit 31's w/o trimming. I trimmed the fenders and am running 33" TSL's. Very good lift kit. I took my swaybars off and sold the disconnects that came with the kit for $75, so really the whole setup only cost me $425. Not bad at all for a very well performing kit!

Here's their link: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=188&Pn=2016&XnPath=188&Vid=52F5247199016

I have also been looking at RE stuff. Hows this choice? RE super ride 3" w/ full leaf packs for $584 shipped. It'll put me well over budget after I get shocks but is it worth it?

Why do that when you can get the Superflex kit, which is the next step up from the superride, for $500 with shocks?????????
Trust me, the lift is awesome and you won't regret it. Let me know if you want me to send you my invoice so you can get 4wheel parts to price match it for you.

Well, I would love to get the super flex but my xj already sits at 17.5" in the front and 17.25" in the back. Im concerned that I wont get a full 3" w/ an AAL. I was thinking the full leaf packs w/ the super ride might be a better route to go.:thumbup: (n) Opinions? Jeepster I sent you a PM about the price match, thank you.

Last edited:
The add-a-leaf gave me just as much lift as the new front springs and my Jeep fits very level. And if you do end up lower in the rear for whatever reason, add a 1" shackle for $50 more and you're good to go. I'll try and locate my invoice and send it you soon.

The benefit of the Superflex over the Superride is that the superflex lower control arms have special flex joints and it comes with really awesome sway bar disconnects.

I'm out in Iraq right now, missing my Jeep among many other things. But I have some input on this subject. I installed a BDS 4.5" kit on my '01 Cherokee and love it. Rides and handles fantastic on the road, flexes and rides great offroad and is of very high quality with a fantastic guarantee. I've had zero problems with it, the thing rides great but you can put a big load in it without squatting the rear down, and it sits very level and always has. That goes back to the quality of the springs. I highly reccomend the BDS products.

Doug

dscn3309.jpg

dscn3305.jpg

p1010120.jpg

Very nice! If you dont mind me askin, about what did the BDS kit run you. Im assuming you went w/ full leaf packs ....looks like your stock leaves beside it.

It was right at $1300. I priced it against RE and others, if you add in all the stuff that comes with the BDS kit to the others, it's a very good deal. I didn't really look at the 3" BDS kit, but the 4.5 is super complete as I mentioned. The springs and all the components are very nice quality, I'm especially impressed with the springs, and that's what makes a lift isn't it?

Doug

Back