• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's and MPG What do you get? Fun thread forming!

Quacked

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys been deployed again. I am till running my 88 XJ with a 4.5 lift cut-outs and 33 in x-terrains on my stock 3.55's. I am getting a grossly horrific 10 mpg.

I do not use my rig off road much anymore but tow my boats a lot and never get to use cruice and overdrive. Been blowing it off (the redearing) since the truck is over 200,000 miles. But you know what, it isnt rusty and I love it, so going to start fixing shit. I took off my roof rack and all the lights becasie I had to rep[aint and gained 2 mpg, so its not going back on.

I had my front shaft off all summer due to the slip joint being so worn I thought the shaft might come through the floor or pole vault me at any minute.

Today I found a shaft out of a rear hit 02 XJ with 30,000 on it and bought the shaft, Installing it one of the ears broke off of the yoke of all things! No, I never forced it.

So I have to tear into my dif. to fix it, and since it is so high milage it is time to replace everything.

I am thinking 4.56's since I drive hwy a lot at 75-80 mph (100 miles round trip at least 3 times a week now that I have a kid driving my car).

So I am wondering what you guys think I will get for milage with the regear and actually being ablet o use overdrive.

In fact what is everyone getting for mpg wqith there rigs that are lifted?

I am hoping to see at least 15mpg, more would be awesome!

75-80 is not realistic for good mpg on any vehicle, and with 456s with 33s youll be turning over 3k rpms at that speed. i get ~18 staying at or around 65 with 33x10.5s and 456s on the highway.

That is awesoem! I figure it should pay for the gearset in a month!

To bad I have teo run the I94 corridor to work, that is just the flow of traffic, slow down and people are getting backed up behind you.

Thanks for helping me start this post.

Quacked

im getting about 15 mpg's on 33's with 3.55's....

Interesting... I'm sitting at about 5.5" of lift on 33s with stock 3.55 gears and I get between 14 and 18 mpg depending on the blend of highway/city driving. Have you installed a new speedometer gear since lifting and moving to 33s? If not, you're mileage is probably appearing to be much worse than it really is. :thumbup:

Here is a picture of my ride to refresh you oplder members on who I am. This is before the cut outs. And more rust.

20r1h95.jpg

Don't even track it because my DD gets 28-32 depending on my foot. :)

Comparisons among Jeeps are pretty useless. Each one has differences in lift, tires, accessories, driving habits, etc.

FWIW (and it's not much), I average right around 14 MPG with 4.56 gears and BFG 33x10.5s. I don't exceed 55 MPH and don't make a habit of fast starts or stops. I'm sure the lift, snorkel, rack w/spare, bumper w/winch and back full of wheelin' stuff at all times has some effect, as does the couple hundred pounds of armor (rock rails, belly pan, gas tank skid, etc.).

Also we must keep in mind the speedo error--my numbers are from my GPS which I use as a speedo/odometer so they should be accurate.

With 4.88s and 33s I'm getting between 14-17 mpg depending on how I drive.

I bought a new speedo gear and it's been verified with my GPS so I know my odometer is right on.

I also don't exceed 70 mph.

IIRC, 15-16mpg with 33x12.50s, a 5spd, and 4.56 gears when I was still using it as a DD.

I get @ 14 w/ 33x12.50's w/ 4.10's and I dont ever get over 55 mph b/c it is a trail rig that rarely sees the road. Bias ply swampers and no sway bars is not a fun or safe rig to road travel in.

33's 5 speed and 3.55's with newly rebuilt motor equals, still around 10 to 12.
But my DD gets 32-35 so I guess it doesnt really matter.

'97, 4 door, 4.0, 5spd, 4.56's, clean roof, 2.5" lift, 33x10.50 swamper tsl's.
19mpg... 70mph(2500rpm) cruise on mountainous interstates, 19mpg around town.
I don't drive it hard at all, and shift between 2000-2500rpm... I routinely get 18.8-19.2mpg.

Every week someone starts this thread over again.

Learn to use the search button.

15 in town 19 on highway 4.56 and 33

My jeep just for comparrison: 1992, 4.0L, auto, 4.5" lift, 33x12.5, 4:56, 245k = 14.5 city / 16.5 hwy. Its my daily driver that sees 70+mph every day. At 70 my rpms are ~ 2150-2200. It never down shifts on the freeway unlike the stock gearing with 33's.

My jeep just for comparrison: 1992, 4.0L, auto, 4.5" lift, 33x12.5, 4:56, 245k = 14.5 city / 16.5 hwy. Its my daily driver that sees 70+mph every day. At 70 my rpms are ~ 2150-2200. It never down shifts on the freeway unlike the stock gearing with 33's.

Something is wrong with your RPM's there. With 4.56 and 33's, you should be pushing coser to 2500 rpm's at 70.

Mathmatically, 2440 in fact.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Back