• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

should i move up to 31's?

irish636

NAXJA Forum User
right now i have 30x9.5's mts on my 99 w/5speed 3.07 gears. i dont think its that bad as far as acceleration and whatnot. im thinking about going to 31x10.50's at's. would this be a big difference. i would think it would even out since im going from a mt to a at??? any comments? thanks

depends on the tire... some run alittle over some alittle under. with a 5 speed you should be fine

You do realize you are asking this on a site biased towards lifted XJs with larger tires right? That is like asking a BMW dealer if he thinks you should buy the BMW M5 or the Corvette... I'm willing to beat you'll get 80%+ answers for "go with the larger tires".

The above being said, go with the larger tires. :D
I believe you are correct in your statement about going from MTs to ATs, but again that really depends on the tires.

No you should not run 31's.......... you should run 33's and then 6 months later you should run 35's

yes

Id say go for it. im running 32s on 3.07s and it doesnt bother me much. Then again i cant use my 5th gear of the highway because of it. Im swapping in 4.10s as we speak and 35" tires

I ran 31 BFG MTs on 3.07s for a few months before I regeared. The gas mileage sucked and if there was any hill at all 5th gear was useless. But, Louisville is pretty flat so it won't be too bad.

Yea, I'm goina be that guy that says I hate it. I run 31s with 3.07s because I don't see the point in regearing when I'm about to go to Iraq and then to 33s. It's not too hilly here at all and it really sucks. 3rd/4th gear are constantly playing tug of war. 5th gear is useless. If it's going to be your DD I wouldn't recommend it. I'm real happy when I get back in my DD with appropriate gearing. HUGE difference.

I have a 88 4x4 automatic w/3.55's ..... I'm thinking of going to 31x10.50rx15 on stock wheels.
It will be a off and on DD. Plan to tow it to Colorado every couple of years to do some mild wheeling ....nothing hard.
Any comments here?

It would have the same basic effect as going from 3.07s with an AX-15 to 31s.

when i went with 31" tire on my 89 with a 5 sp, i didnt like. yes its very doable and for some see it as no problem, but when you go up anytype of incline, i had to down shift and like a few have said, 5th gear was sometimes useless.

i went with stock gearing for about 8 months before i regeared. it was a night and day difference after the regearing. the people still running stock gearing and tires larger than 31's and say that its "not bad" or "all right", wouldnt say that if they regeared. i thought it was "all right" untill i regeared and now when i look back, it sucked!

I have a 88 4x4 automatic w/3.55's ..... I'm thinking of going to 31x10.50rx15 on stock wheels.
It will be a off and on DD. Plan to tow it to Colorado every couple of years to do some mild wheeling ....nothing hard.
Any comments here?

from what ive heard, i have a 5speed, auto trannys with 3.55 gearing handle 31 better than a manual trans because of the torque convertor.

I'm on 31's with the auto/3.55. The difference between them and my old 235's not even noticeable..so far. I have not driven yet at highway speeds with a strong cross wind or from, say, Denver to the continental divide. I have been wheeling though...no problems.

the difference is not so much the torque converter, but the gearing, the auto comes with 3.55 gears stock because of the different ratios in the auto vs. the manual. the 5 speed had 3.05.. something in the rear ends...

the difference is not so much the torque converter, but the gearing, the auto comes with 3.55 gears stock because of the different ratios in the auto vs. the manual. the 5 speed had 3.05.. something in the rear ends...

true, but the torque convertor wont bog the engine down like a clutch will.

There is little planning involved to go to 31" tires from a stock setup. There is more planning and cost involved for anything larger, including gearing, SYE, axle strength, taller lift, etc.

Base the decision on the budget, then go for 33"s anyway.

It is the natural order;

$$$ tires too big $$$

$$$ Lift for tires to big $$$

$$$ Even bigger tires too big $$$

$$$ Gears for even bigger tires too big $$$

$$$$$ Even bigger yet tires too big, for marginal gearing set for even bigger tires too big $$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$ Heavier axles for even bigger yet tires too big, new gears for heavier axles $$$$$$$$$

$ Sawzall because you don't have enough money for more lift $

Back