• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 transfer case output shaft differences

onupolarbear

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any difference between transfer case output shafts between 231 transfer cases? I know there are some diffrences between 231 cases (i.e. different length input gears and gear cuts) . . .

I am trying to track down my BAD driveline vibes/shaking. Replaced my ruined 1994 XJ 231 transfer case with a 231 out of a 95 YJ Wrangler that had an SYE already completed. The transfer case output shaft on the 1995 YJ 231 appears to be warped. I have an RE 4.5 lift with an SYE with the front driveshaft mod and you can physicially see slight wobbling of the driveshaft and SYE. I have removed the rear driveshaft and I get no vibrations. I believe the warped output shaft to be the cause of my driveline vibrations as the driveshaft is literally "wobbling" at one end as I drive.

Are there any differences between the transfer case output shafts between the a 1995 YJ 231 and a 1994 XJ 231? I am hoping the output shafts are identical and I can just swap shafts and make my life easy. I just don't want to take apart the transfer case and find out it won't work.

i am wondering the same thing except on the opposite side my buddy has a 91 wrangler and his output shaft is bent and were looking for a new one and i found a 96 xj case for 30 bucks but the shaft is a about an inch and a half longer in the xj tcase we dont have an sye tho if some one could help that would be great

Back