• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 from a '97 dakota

jonnywong

NAXJA Forum User
its out of a 2wd '97 dakota....will it swap into my 95 XJ? I should be able to use the bellhousing out of my old ax15 for it to mount up im guessing, i just dont know if it will be able to adapt to my np231.

Your XJ bellhousing should be fine, but the tailcone on a 2wd AX-15 is not the same as a 4wd AX-15... not sure if you could just swap on an old one or what, but I am pretty sure the t-case isn't bolting up to a 2wd model without some effort.:looney:

Your XJ bellhousing should be fine, but the tailcone on a 2wd AX-15 is not the same as a 4wd AX-15... not sure if you could just swap on an old one or what, but I am pretty sure the t-case isn't bolting up to a 2wd model without some effort.:looney:

not exactly what i wanted to hear but i figured there would be some sort of issue with the np231.

The bellhousing will swap, provided you have the same style of throwout bearing (internal or external - the front bearing retainers on the transmission case are different.)

The 2WD/4WD issue is a larger problem - the 2WD mainshaft is longer, and can only be replaced with a full overhaul of the gearbox. The input shaft and counteshaft will be the same, as will the central case, so you may be able to keep the thing for spare parts if you have room (I believe the mainshaft gears are also the same, but I won't swear to it just yet...)

Back