• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buick v-6 xj

gobblywobblur

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if anyone has done this.
I have a 1986 xj with a throttle body injected very tired 2.5 liter 4 banger
and a 3 speed auto tranny. You can imagine the incredible hp ?

I also have a free, good running 1986ish buick v-6, basically the same engine we used to put in so many willys flat fenders.

Anyone ever make this swap, or know what transmission I have?
maybe with some welded in engine mounts, and a advance adapter.....

Any info or ideas greatly appreciated.

Happy Wheeling :sad1:

Just wondering if anyone has done this.
I have a 1986 xj with a throttle body injected very tired 2.5 liter 4 banger
and a 3 speed auto tranny. You can imagine the incredible hp ?

I also have a free, good running 1986ish buick v-6, basically the same engine we used to put in so many willys flat fenders.

Anyone ever make this swap, or know what transmission I have?
maybe with some welded in engine mounts, and a advance adapter.....

Any info or ideas greatly appreciated.

Happy Wheeling :sad1:

there was a thread on here where somedude threw a GN motor in one

I couldn't find anything in novak or advanced adapters to help you out...
GL with the swap, I'd love to see somebody throw a blown Grand Nasty motor in their rig...

Whoops - the hotrod 3.8 in the Grand National was turbo'ed, not supercharged like the 3.8 in a 04 Grand Prix

Last edited:
Yeah there was a GN powered xj floating around with a nose extension(didn't look good imo). It was for sale a year ago after sitting for a long pd of time.

Nope, Its the Aisin-Warner AW4 automatic or the AX-15 manual and i think there is another one but forgot what its called

I have this motor going into a m38a1. It is not the standard Chevy small block bolt pattern, it is the Buick-Olds-Pontiac bolt pattern so a transmission out of one of those vehicles would bolt up. You can also buy/make a adapter to bolt up a gm transmission. (http://www.tdperformance.com/products/?id=3382) with this, you could use a th350, th400, 700r4, 4L60e or any other GM transmission then you could use the transfercase that was attached to that trans or something different using a adapter from novak/AA.

Also, the exhaust header on the driver side IIRC comes out forward which creates fitment problems. Most of the aftermarket headers I have seen are fenderwell dumps for cj5s which probably wouldn't work in a Cherokee. I have only seen one set of block hugger headers advertised for the 225 from Novak. Any set of block huggers from a 231 should fit.

Chris

Back