• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.7L HEMI dimensions?

XJHO

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have the dimensions of the 5.7L / 6.1L HEMI jotted down anywhere? Haven't been able to find them on the web. Just brainstorming conversion.

Most curious about...
Weight of engine?
Width?

Anyone have the dimensions of the 5.7L / 6.1L HEMI jotted down anywhere? Haven't been able to find them on the web. Just brainstorming conversion.

Most curious about...
Weight of engine?
Width?

If I can remember tomorrow, I'll measure some at work.

modified tech how?
And no, you're not going to put one in an xj

modified tech how?
And no, you're not going to put one in an xj

Why not, they fit fine in a TJ. Almost a drop in if you buy the kit with the new harness, ecu and motor mounts. Other than the exhaust plumbing it's a fairly, if expensive, easy swap. The tough expensive part is finding the motor and buying the kit. The two I have seen the owners used the auto tranny too that was in the donor.

Father in Law has the LS1 in his. It's a snug fit with the exhaust manifolds. The frame rails on the XJ are tight. I need to run to the car lot and check out the Grands with the 5.7L for dimensions. The exhaust manifold are smaller and tighter to the block in the Grands.

Why not, they fit fine in a TJ. Almost a drop in if you buy the kit with the new harness, ecu and motor mounts. Other than the exhaust plumbing it's a fairly, if expensive, easy swap.

Dont TJs have a bigger engine bay though? Idk I just think of how cramed the I6 is in the xj and get the feeling the 5.7 is probly too big.

Id love to see it done though, and Im not a mechanic so Im most likely wrong! so go for it.

TJs also have a frame which yields means of dealing with all of the power that a hemi would put out. $$$ is another reason. ALOT of TJ owners are just posers with big wallets that will fork over to 5 or 6 grand to 4wp to have them install a lift and bigger tires with blinging 18" "offroad" rims. They don't mind doing an $8k engine swap. Is it worth it to do it to an xj that is, at the least, 7 years old? Sure, whatever.

The problem is the ratio of dumb "i wish i could get a hemi/ls1/etc into an xj" threads to actual tech writeup/builds of "i just put a XXXX motor" into my xj".

Harness http://www.hotwireauto.com/?page=main
This is the key to any legal conversion with an ecu.

This is what I'm talking about. $1400 just for the harness so that its street legal:confused1. I saw on Xtreme on Spike where they did this swap, but that show has a tendency to do everything xteme with no regards for a budget.

Something tells me if the OP won't fork over $30 for a NAXJA membership, then they wouldn't be able to drop the coin required on this.

You all do know that AEV has been building hemi TJ's for quite a while, few years actually.

This is what I'm talking about. $1400 just for the harness so that its street legal:confused1. I saw on Xtreme on Spike where they did this swap, but that show has a tendency to do everything xteme with no regards for a budget.

Something tells me if the OP won't fork over $30 for a NAXJA membership, then they wouldn't be able to drop the coin required on this.

$1400 isn't that bad. The LS1 harnesses were more than that when they started becoming popular. If you wanna play ya gotta pay. If thats too much for you then get a better job or keep dreaming.

Well I guess I'm just bitter because I don't have enough to play:bawl:
There is no reason an xj needs that much power though. Build it up through gearing, not motor power and you'll be able to crawl out of everything you want.

To each his own on this project. If you want to and follow through, you'll have one bad-ass xj engine bay and I'll eat crow. I'm just tired of seeing (and its mostly in the street/peformance forum) someone with 25 posts or less ask about putting motor XXX into his xj every week.

Back