• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

so i ended up in a tree. time to chop........

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
yep. i was going through this trail at hollister hills and i was doing this hill climb when my tc went out and killed the engine. I lost my breaks and steering. i rolled down the hill into a tree. broke the hatch, my rear window, and crushed in the d-pillar on the drivers side.
i could cut out the old crushed piece, and patch in a new one. but that seems really hard.
I could just pull the hatch off and leave it like that.
or i could chop it.
thats a biGGGGGG step. and hard to do right.
i want it to be a good trail rig now.
if i cut the top of at the c-pillar, how bad would it be to drive on the streets?
how would it do on the trail?
i'd love to cage it, but thats a little pricey, so thats down the road.
im starting mechanics school in november, so i dont have a lot of time to decide.
If theres a way to fix that pillar that i dont know about im open to ideas.

----chris

(p.s. i just picked up a different xj for $350. 90,000 miles. its my new dd)

i entered this thread beleiving you were seeking advice on cutting your jeep out of a tree!

flush-cut saws, the ones that pull on the backstroke! work wonders!

Chop and cage.

100_5129.jpg

no pics of you in the tree? you monkey! :cheers:

most of those links didnt work...but i cant afford the c-rok kit. and i find it pretty dan ugly to be honest. i dont mind and exo-cage, in matter of fact, id love to have one. but i dont have the knowledge or expertise to weld one up by myself

well, the interior is getting gutted out of my 90 this week. and getting installed in my new "gold" chero. my 90 is a limited, so im thinking about transfering all the power options and nice leather seats to the 89 pioneer i just picked up. but i need a new transfer cases for BOTH of my rigs. as far as the chop is concerned. its going to happen as soon as i do more reasearch. now i just need to figure out if im switching dashes or not. i have a lift for the front sitting in my yard, but for the rear i have nothing.

hmmm...lots to do. so keep on giving advice about the chop, or exactly what i should do. because a chop isnt necesary. but it would be cool. again, im still looking for exo cage, and interior cage kits.

Back