• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few questions

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm just trying to increase my knowledge, I'm not arguing with anyone.
I've heard that using fulltime 4WD with a lunchbox locker is badnews, but why? I mean I have a lunchbox, and if I slip the clutch it isn't receiving full power, just like if I was in fulltime. Also, how does the locker know what "full power" is?
Also, why is it better for the U-joint angles on the driveshaft to be the same? Wouldn't you just want each one to be as close to zero as possible?
Why is this
2joint_angle.gif

better?
Wouldn't
cv_angle.gif

be the best? I understand they're for different DS joint setups, but why isn't the second one always the best? How does one U-joint know what the other one is doing?
Edit: unofficial thanks to Tom Woods for the images.

If those pictures are off of tom wood's site, which it looks like they are, they have a great explanation of this.

I'll give it my best shot here: A u-joint does not transmit a constant velocity when it is at any angle other than 0. At other angles, the transmitted velocity will actually fluctuate around the input velocity. IIRC it actually changes in a sinusoidal fashion. Because of this, in a non C.V./dual Cardian shaft the u-joints should be at the same angle when at ride height so that the velocity going into the yoke at the axle will be a constant velocity, not one that is changing constantly that would result in vibrations.

In a C.V./dual Cardian shaft, the fluctuating velocity is actually canceled out in the C.V. yoke part (the part that has the two u-joints next to each other). The yoke on the axle should be in line (it should have no angle in it) with the drive shaft so the final u-joint does not introduce a changing velocity.

Hope that helps. I know the write up on Tom wood's site says what I just said 100% better.

Chris

Back