• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting to WJ steering

Jeep XJ_YJ

NAXJA Forum User
Do the WJ lower ball joints fit the older Dana 30's.

What are side effects of running the stock xj/tj/yj lower balljoint's with WJ knuckles/brakes.

The lower ball joints have a different taper. The XJ ball joints used with the WJ knuckles gives some play but the WJ ball joints do not.

The ball joints fit from all of the dana 30's but the taper is different.

I've got the WJ otk steering on my trail rig and it is very tight, beefy and you don't lose any turning radius. One other plus to running the WJ setup is you get dual piston calipers.

The lower ball joints have a different taper. The XJ ball joints used with the WJ knuckles gives some play but the WJ ball joints do not.

The ball joints fit from all of the dana 30's but the taper is different.

I've got the WJ otk steering on my trail rig and it is very tight, beefy and you don't lose any turning radius. One other plus to running the WJ setup is you get dual piston calipers.
All right. So you are running the WJ lowers?

Already have the WJ axle parts.

If what you want is run the WJ calipers, use the early two piece knuckle (pad carrier) , fill the holes with weld and remake fixed holes, thread it , grind a bith the WJ caliper in the top - outer part and you are set.

ABout swapping balljoint into the WJ steering knuckle, I'm not sure if it's possible, didn't check it.

I run WJ knuckles. I started with XJ lower balljoints. After 2 years, discovered that WJ ones are supposed to fit better, and removed very good XJ balljoints to put in WJ ones.

I've had to replace the WJ lowers 4 times in a year. I put XJ ones in one side (had them handy) and they remain tight, the new WJ ones on the other side are loose after 2 runs.

I'll be putting XJ ones back in that side next. :/

i just did this conversion and my 99 and my lowers were shot while my uppers were stiff... i am going to replace lowers with normal 30 ball joints and bolt it back together - it is pretty snug - i guess the WJ ball joints would be better?

i just did this conversion and my 99 and my lowers were shot while my uppers were stiff... i am going to replace lowers with normal 30 ball joints and bolt it back together - it is pretty snug - i guess the WJ ball joints would be better?

seems like my lowers are shot too., still undecided in which ones I want to put in! I don't look forward to pressing them in and out.

i do not know - i was wondering the same thing

i too am not looking forward to putting new ones in either! i just bolted everything back together to make sure i had no clearance problems, etc...

the top ones press in from the top, and bottoms press in from the bottom. I think you can get the press on it upside down, but your axle will have to be a couple feet off the ground.

Back