• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

we are back from playing

seth0941

NAXJA Forum User
well, we went out to STRADDLINE ORV park. paid the $10 per truck to get in. got set up and went in to the trailes. we asked for a trail map but they do not have one.

so we asked where the "4X4" trailes are and she pointed and said "over there" So, off we went having no idea where we were going. so we found some trailes "over there" but they ended up being atv trailes so they got tite! so we went back th the starting point where there was a big mud hole. the guy in our groop driving the lifted K5 blazer on 39" boggers had just gon threw it but i did not see.

so i asked how deep it was and he said "it's only about a foot" so i thought, that is not bad! so i started in. as i started in about 10-15 people gatherd with cameras in hand, not a good sign. as i start in the water is getting deep, and now it is over my hood. i started spinning , power started to go away from my mufflernow being under water. then bam it hydro locks. S*@T:smsoap:..... now the water is over my hood, starting to poor in the doors, i am looking at my friends as they are all falling over laphing there asses off and i yell " get me the F@#ck out of here!! :helpme:they all look at me and say "you have a winch, use it!" (take in mind that it is under water!) so i close my eyes (just as my ass started getting wet do to the water being that high up in the jeep) put my foot on the floor, hit the key and IT FIRES OFF! i put it in first high range and dumped the clutch and HOLLY S*#T IT CAME OUT!! i pull up to the groop and open my door and out pores the water!! and so the camers come out again. so after putting my jeep on the hill side to let the water drain we were off. photos to come alond with more about it.

this my jeep after were all done.

100_1606.jpg

a friends jeep stuck just up from where i was almost stuck. note! he is sitting on 37" swampers.

100_1607.jpg

100_1609.jpg

100_1610.jpg

So wait let me get this straight, your airbox was totally underwater but you kept driving your jeep? Is that about right?

-Alex

Something else that doesn't make sense to me. If you really hydrolocked the engine, there is NO WAY just turning the key would have it start up again. Having been there and done that, I'll tell you I'm 100% correct on that one...
It also sounds like you need new friends.

Yeah, I was gonna get to the fact that if it was hydrolocked it wouldn't turn over without a lot of noise and agony... :D

-Alex

ok,ok... i dont know if it was "hydro locked" but when it died it was sudden and with a thud. at this point i thought i just bent a rod. i hit the kes right away and it turned over 2 times fast then just stoped with a THUD. i let it sit for about 2 minits and thought i was buying a motor any way so i hit the key and it started... see the dash cam video here.
please note. i took out the dead space on the video where i was just sitting.

It obviously wasn't Hydro Locked. But the story sounds better that way.

Now, so that we fully understand for the record. Can you tell us step by step exactly what happened, when the engine died? what you did afterwards, and what happened after you got out of the water, on the next trail and then when you got home? Because this is the where the $ is!!

Michael

When you popped the hood was the air filter soaked through on both sides? If you got water in the engine and continued to drive it you would have bent a rod or pushed one out the side of the block. For future notice, when you see the water coming up to the hood line, stop the vehicle and dont restart it till there isn't water there...

-Alex

ok,ok... i dont know if it was "hydro locked" but when it died it was sudden and with a thud. at this point i thought i just bent a rod. i hit the kes right away and it turned over 2 times fast then just stoped with a THUD. i let it sit for about 2 minits and thought i was buying a motor any way so i hit the key and it started...

So you know... if you do think you are hydrolocked, turning the key is the WORST thing you can do. Winch/Get yourself out, pull the plugs and turn it over. Otherwise you risk more damage if there wasn't any already.

pushed one out the side of the block.

Ya, not something I'd recommend. It isn't as fun as it sounds.

holy coke nails batman...lmao im sorry seth but that is funny as hell and im glad i didn't take my jeep cut that would have been me in the mud hole....any aqua in the engine? oh and ill be out tuesday to get those stems....

When you popped the hood was the air filter soaked through on both sides? If you got water in the engine and continued to drive it you would have bent a rod or pushed one out the side of the block. For future notice, when you see the water coming up to the hood line, stop the vehicle and dont restart it till there isn't water there...

-Alex

Alex, that is a good diagnosis, however really the initial problem is not enough speed. When you enter a large water hole like that you really need as much momentum as possible to get all the way through the water as quickly as possible.

I am waiting for the full report.

Michael

It obviously wasn't Hydro Locked. But the story sounds better that way.

Now, so that we fully understand for the record. Can you tell us step by step exactly what happened, when the engine died? what you did afterwards, and what happened after you got out of the water, on the next trail and then when you got home? Because this is the where the $ is!!

Michael

ok, it started lacking on power, missing, then it JUST STOPED. i went to turn it over and i rotated about 2 times at speed then it JUST STOPED. not the kind of stop like i had a low battery but the kind that was like, well when it happend i with out a dout knew i just bought a new motor.

then after sitting there long enuff that the water was up to my seat in the cab and my ass was getting wet whal every one was just pointing and taking photos i thought to my self F%$K IT! i kit the key it turned over slowly then faster, and faster, then $$$$ it fired off. i wraped it up to about 3 grand dumped the clutch and i was out. after that i led it idle for about 20 min. at this time it is running fine. i shut it off then started it just like nothing happend. i spent about 3 more hrs on the trail today in it and was the recovery rig 2 times. i drove it home (35 miles) on the hiway. the only issue now is my "check engn" light is now on.... only time will tell as to any damage!

and yes i know that was the worst thing that i could have done... but like i said, i thuoght i was buying a motor anyway just by the way it shut it's self off.

To be honest with you, the reason it "shut itself off" has NOTHING to suspect you need a new motor. The "right" thing to do is to leave it off, extract the vehicle and then remove all the plugs and "drain" the engine by turning it over. ONLY then is it safe to try to run the engine again.

You might have been lucky. But I suspect if you were really in the water as long as you say then you did much more damage than it currently appears.

I would start by recommending that you IMEDIATELY (not in the morning, or tomorrow or next week).
1. pull the plugs, and intake and clean everything up, turn it over and make sure everything is clean. Replace filter and anything else that looks bad.
2. clean the altinator and starter (inside and out) or replace them both (they won't last long anyway).
3. clean and put dialectric grease on EVERY electrical connection you can find (this should have been done before this insident).
4. Change the oil and filter.
5. Change the tranny fluid, tc and both diffs (unless you know where these vents are and are well protected with experience).

Later this week.
1. Change the oil and filter again, and inspect the oil.
2. You might want to flush the brake fluid and coolant?

Again next week.
1. Change the oil again. (repeat till it looks new).

The rest of the interior will need plenty of other help.

Just my recommendations, best of luck and I hope it all turns out good for you.

Michael

To be honest with you, the reason it "shut itself off" has NOTHING to suspect you need a new motor. The "right" thing to do is to leave it off, extract the vehicle and then remove all the plugs and "drain" the engine by turning it over. ONLY then is it safe to try to run the engine again.

You might have been lucky. But I suspect if you were really in the water as long as you say then you did much more damage than it currently appears.

I would start by recommending that you IMEDIATELY (not in the morning, or tomorrow or next week).
1. pull the plugs, and intake and clean everything up, turn it over and make sure everything is clean. Replace filter and anything else that looks bad.
2. clean the altinator and starter (inside and out) or replace them both (they won't last long anyway).
3. clean and put dialectric grease on EVERY electrical connection you can find (this should have been done before this insident).
4. Change the oil and filter.
5. Change the tranny fluid, tc and both diffs (unless you know where these vents are and are well protected with experience).

Later this week.
1. Change the oil and filter again, and inspect the oil.
2. You might want to flush the brake fluid and coolant?

Again next week.
1. Change the oil again. (repeat till it looks new).

The rest of the interior will need plenty of other help.

Just my recommendations, best of luck and I hope it all turns out good for you.

Michael

thanx for the advice. well you can see that the video lasts about 2 and 1/2 min. i would guess that i was in the water for about 3 or 4 min. like i said i ran the trailes for about 3 hrs after this and i do have plans on doing all the fluids tomorow. as for now... i am sitting here with my beer, mu tv, my laptop. my jeep is outside coverd in mud with a small heater inside. i got all the water out of the inside that i could with a coffe cup on the trail. but there is still standing water inside. so tomorow is full of post fun work! and might i add.... i was the only one that did every thing and the only one that did not get stuck!!

the photo is of me pulling a fellow XJ out of a pad spot.

this was taken after the ... we will call it "swamping" :sure:

IMG_0626.jpg

my dad just sent me some photos that he took. so if you watched the video you saw the view that i had. this is the view he had.

this photo is just after i got out. (see water poring out of door crack)

IMG_0595.jpg

this is a photo of me when i was sitting there, you will notice that the water is not as deep as it seemed sitting inside!

IMG_0593.jpg

You had water up to your seat? Wow you got it bad, I only got water up to my shins when I swamped mine. You are going to have to pull all your interior tomorrow, have fun, first time I did it it took a few hours but you will get the hang of it after 3 or 4 times.

jeep3.jpg

jeep2.jpg

I know Joe and Matt have both been here before. :roflmao:

What Michael suggested is a pretty good idea, your lucky your alternator didn't give out, mine was toast when I swamped mine.

-Alex

after looking at my air cleaner (a cheap K&N style cone type) it has been sucked flat. so highn (spelling?) being 20/20 that is what saved my motor. still going to do all the fluids.

after looking at my air cleaner (a cheap K&N style cone type) it has been sucked flat. so highn (spelling?) being 20/20 that is what saved my motor. still going to do all the fluids.
Funny. Thats exactly what killed mine.
I will never run a "cone" style filter on a vehicle that sees anything other that street time again.

Back