• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back fender chop

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
Mkkk need some pics people. I have a 2 door XJ and I'm quite afraid of chopping my rear fenders. I've already chopped the front however. All the writeups are on 4 doors, which dont quite apply to my truck(Or does it?). I cut the front along where the flare went and i'd like to do so to the back also. However the top of the wheel well is like an inch from the lip, which leads me to believe it's the same as a 4 door.

I always thought on 4 doors, people only cut to that point because of the door being where it is. Or is it actually because of where the top of the wheel well is?

Thanks.

Doors aren't the issue really. The pinch seam is the problem. You don't want to cut past it. Look closely and you'll see the small dots that hold the inner and outer panel together.

I have a two-door too. Here's what my fenders looked like after I had trimmed them, and before I Herculined them:

271_7164.jpg

271_7161.jpg

271_7160.jpg

After you've removed the flare, cut the 'lip' of the fenderwell off (about the first 1/2" or so). Then cut slits in the edge of the fenderwell; I cut mine back to a convenient crease. Be careful not to cut those dimples; those are the pinch welds. I marked them all with a Sharpie before cutting, just in case. Then use a hammer to fold all the tabs over. I coated all the tabs with brush-on-seam sealer, and then Herculiner.

Back