• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 indicator light jumper cable

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I am trying to figure out what I need to get the lights working on my '91, which has two pigtails down there, which I believe are for the lights. It has the BLACK/RED and BLACK wires that were used with the old 231, and there is another pigtail on the left rear of the transmission with YELLOW/BLACK and RED/BLACK wires, which I believe are for the 242.

Does anybody with a 91-96 242 know what the wiring looks like down there?

I've seen a couple of 242 conversion threads talk about a sub-harness for the indicator lights, and give part number 56041612AA, but those are for later year model. Does anybody have a picture of this harness, or able to describe it?

Here is what the '91 Wiring FSM shows down there

242jumperharness.gif

No part number anywhere that matches up with that. The parts catalog does list "5600 2600 ... WIRING, Transfer Case Jumper, w/231" but that does not sound right at all (I have 242 not 231)

anybody...

I got the part today and it works--the Part Time and Full Time lights come on as expected. Here is a picture of the jumper cable:

Selectrac_Jumper.jpg

That is part number 5600 2600, which is mislabeled in the parts catalog as "WIRING, Transfer Case Jumper, w/231". One end plugs into the two-pin connector on the transfer case, and the other end plugs into a two-pin connector that is tucked behind the bracket at the rear of the transmission. The wires on the body harness are BLACK/RED and BLACK/YELLOW, while the jumper harness wires are BLACK/RED and GREY/YELLOW.

I assume this works for all 91-96 models

ps--sorry about the confusing picture, but the long straight thing between the two plugs is a captive zip-tie

Last edited:
Thanks! I need this part, I just put a 242 in my sons XJ and replaced the 231. I have the part time light and nothing else.

I assume that nothing extra needs to be done other than install the bulbs, correct?

If you get the part-time light with the 242 w/out custom wiring then you are wired up correctly and just need the bulb and holder. I used the seat belt warning bulb since it was the least critical. I need to get up to the junkyard.

If you get the part-time light with the 242 w/out custom wiring then you are wired up correctly and just need the bulb and holder. I used the seat belt warning bulb since it was the least critical. I need to get up to the junkyard.

OK mine is a 96 so something is different then. I have put the bulbs in and no luck, only the part time light will come on.

Did the 242 come with a wiring harness, or did you use the same body connector that you were using with the 231?

Same as I had with the 231, and vice versa, I took the 242 out of my trail rig which has no indicator lights now with a 231!

Is there something I need to switch between the 2 Jeeps to fix the issue?

I'm not so worried about my Heep but the kids XJ needs to work right so he doesn't run down the highway in part time by accident.

On my '91 there are two connectors down there. The one that was used for the 231 with BLACK and BLACK/RED only feeds the part-time light. There is another one that is hidden away and tucked inside a bracket on the left of the transmission where the tranny and tcase meet and has RED/BLACK and YELLOW/BLACK wires, which is the one you have to use (RED/BLACK is the same as 231 wiring, while YELLOW/BLACK is the full-time light). You'll have to dig around for it. The colors may be different too. The jumper harness is basically an extender for that connector.

I got the part today and it works--the Part Time and Full Time lights come on as expected. Here is a picture of the jumper cable:

Selectrac_Jumper.jpg

That is part number 5600 2600, which is mislabeled in the parts catalog as "WIRING, Transfer Case Jumper, w/231". One end plugs into the two-pin connector on the transfer case, and the other end plugs into a two-pin connector that is tucked behind the bracket at the rear of the transmission. The wires on the body harness are BLACK/RED and BLACK/YELLOW, while the jumper harness wires are BLACK/RED and GREY/YELLOW.

I assume this works for all 91-96 models

ps--sorry about the confusing picture, but the long straight thing between the two plugs is a captive zip-tie

Thanks for posting this. I could have used this when I swapped a 242 into my TJ. I did a search for that part number though and it says ts invalid. Anyone know if it could have changed?

K I'm a little backwards on this on but..... Mine had a 242 from factory and it now has a 231 and I wanna get the 4x4 light working? What do I need or need to do to do it any ideas would be great? I have not even looked under there but it is a 231 w/SYE?

So, if I have two 96 XJ's sitting here in my driveway, one had the 242 and the other had the 231 but I switched the T-cases from one to another, then the XJ that had the 242 should have the jumper in it?

That would be nice if it did and would only take me a few minuets to make the swap then both Jeeps would have the lights working again.

The transfer cases have the switch connectors in different places (and they are also different genders). The main harness that comes down the transmission has plugs for both types of connectors, but the one for the 242 is not long enough to reach ergo you need the extension harness when you change to a 242. If you are changing to a 231 then you don't need anything, since there is already a connector on the main harness.

Check earlier posts for wire colors

The transfer cases have the switch connectors in different places (and they are also different genders). The main harness that comes down the transmission has plugs for both types of connectors, but the one for the 242 is not long enough to reach ergo you need the extension harness when you change to a 242. If you are changing to a 231 then you don't need anything, since there is already a connector on the main harness.

Check earlier posts for wire colors

I get that but I have a 96 XJ that had a 242 in it but is now a 231.

I also have a 96 XJ that had a 231 that now has the 242.

Would the 96 that "Had" the 242 still have the jumper in it? I did the swap myself and no wire harness' were removed.

If so. couldn't I just swap the jumper over to the other 96 then hook up the 231 connector to the one that "had" the 242 then all would be right with both rigs.

Back