• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case e-brake

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone doing this or have any pictures of it?
I unfortunatly have no e-brake cables from my rear 44 to the e brake handle and it was cut all the way at the top. Its a long story but rather than mess with buying everything to make it work I was looking for other ideas and stumbled across this and line locks. Line locks wont hold pressure for long periods of time so now im down to this idea.
thanks

I have a transfer case mounted e-brake. I did the disk brake conversion on my 14 bolt and wanted a mechanical setup.

To be honest it would be a whole lot easier to go to a wrecking yard and find some e-brake cables then mounting a T-case brake. Unless you have an Atlas or Toyota transfer case I don't think anyone is making prefabbed brackets. I have an NP205 and had to build all the brackets.

I don't have any pictures online but have some at home. I'll see if I can't post them tonight.

Imop, what caliper and disk setup did you use for the e-brake on the transfer case (I assume it's a cable operated caliper?). Also, how's the effectiveness of the e-brake? From what I've heard an e-brake on the transfercase is quite effective because you benefit from the reduction ratio in the diff to help it hold.

I've been considering doing a custom transfercase e-brake as well and I've toyed with the idea of doing a hydraulic one using a motorcycle brake caliper because they're small and powerful. Was thinking of using the standard handbrake ratchet mechanism and having the threaded shaft where the normal handbrake is adjusted actuate on the master cylinder from the motorcycle or something similar.

Would love to see some pics of yours if you have.

I used a kit I got from Tom Woods but I didn't use his rotor. The rotor I got was smaller then I liked and didn't give the caliper much bite. If I were to do it again I would probably go through High Angle since I like their rotor better. Other then that both use the same mechanical caliper. Tom Woods flanges where cheaper though.

The caliper can be purchased from TSM Mfg as well as rotors that bolt onto the back of CV style yokes so if you don't have a flange output you can still make something work.

http://www.tsmmfg.com/7211.htm
http://www.tsmmfg.com/stainless_transfer_case_rotors.htm

It doesn't look like I have any pics with the whole thing out of the jeep but here are some of the pics I took during the buildup and now that it is installed.

Here is the stuff I got from Tom Woods and the mid 90's Acura front rotor that I used instead of the one provided. It ended up being a huge pain in the ass so I wouldn't recommend doing it that way.

1000860fu6.jpg

1000863tf9.jpg

1001163pn3.jpg

1001164vd7.jpg

The e-brake line i used was a universal kit made by Lokar I got from Summit. The parking brake lever is made by Orscheln and used on forklifts and heavy equipment and is adjustible at the handle. I picked it up on Ebay.

1001170os5.jpg

The brake is very handy at times. My jeep is stretched to about 112" wheel base and I'm running full width axles. I can run around tight trails in FWD only and use the parking brake as a cutting brake to make sharp corners.

EDIT: oh ignore my shift knob. The tranny didn't come with one so I used an old transfercase shift knob.

Yeah, you're pretty much SOL if you're keeping the NP231. Atlas/Stak cases have a kit, the 205 has a kit, and the D300 has a kit if you upgrade the rear shaft to 32-spline.

Back