• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Shackle Needed?

PapaGeno21

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, I wanna install an RE 4.5 SF kit.

Heres my issue.

I cant get my stock shackles out, so I got in contact with an RE parts dealer and he will sell me a 4.5 kit but instead of running the 3.5 pack with RE's shackles he will remove those and just put in a 4.5" leaf pack.

He said RE doesnt reccommend it though due to flex.

Will it actually matter? I mean will something break or go wrong if I dont use the other shackles?

Thanks.

IIRC if you don't have the correct shackles (longer shackles for larger leafs) then when you fully compress the leaf the shackle wont give it enough room to flatten out, so it will ripple up so to speak, like a wave, and cause quicker wear on your leafs.

~Scott

IIRC if you don't have the correct shackles (longer shackles for larger leafs) then when you fully compress the leaf the shackle wont give it enough room to flatten out, so it will ripple up so to speak, like a wave, and cause quicker wear on your leafs.

~Scott

I'd like to know more, I'm running 4.5 re leafs with stock shackles and notice less flex in the back, what do they recommend for shackles?

RE Reccommends you run the 3.5's with their extended shacke for it to be 4.5

I understand how it works as I had extended shackles on my other jeep with 3.5" leafs but I cant get the damn shackles out.

I'd like to know more, I'm running 4.5 re leafs with stock shackles and notice less flex in the back, what do they recommend for shackles?

Do I sense sarcasm?
I ment a longer shackle than stock...not that you should get an X amount of length shackle because your leafs provide Y amount of lift.

:laugh3:

~Scott

P.S. Sorry Arsonist, I suppose I didn't help you much...I'll let someone with a little better knowledge take over. (Free bump!)

You will get a better ride and more flex w/ the 3.5's and a longer shackle vs the straight 4.5's!

For my first lift I had the 4.5'' leaves and stock shackles. Flex was fine. Ride was a bit harsh, but I dont think a shackle would have helped.

edit: Found some pics. Keep in mind these are 4+ years old, so things have changed a bit.
P1010030.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Picture028.jpg

CindysBday031.jpg

Those are 32s in the pics.

edit2: Wow, talk about some messed up pic sizes!

Last edited:
i was running 5.5 RC leafs took out some leafs and added a 1.5 shackle it flexes and rides way better. the shackle makes a huge difference. BTW just do a quarter panel cut and you can remove the shackle with a impact wrench.

Back