• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring harness for non-tow XJ to accept 7pin town package outlet

XJ96Classic

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 XJ without the tow package. I just put on a hitch that has a factory 7pin plug attacked to it.. so i thought i would just get a adaptor and somehow it would just plug into something that was in the rear panel.. NOPE.

so I did lots of searches and fount tons of aftermarket plug and play 4 pin setups .. but none for a 7pin that would then hook up to the factory 7 pin outlet.

does anyone have any idea where to get one of these? I tried mopar but they said they wanted 200+ for it/. thats just outrageous.. what i am looking for should cost about $30 i would think.

you could just wire it, I dont think I have ever seen a plug and play for a jeep. It is not hard to wire it, just takes a few minutes longer.

if you take the plug apart just trace the wires to the correct sides, splice/soldier them in, then you are good to go. I forget when the year split was, but you may need a converter to get the tail/turns to work correctly.

Yeah... just be a lot easier to have the plug that goes into the 7prong outlet and splice wires off there... but really there has got to be a company that makes this thing.

Just solder the wires in, not hard. The split from the driver's side harness to the passenger side harness occurs under the rear seat under the plastic trim below the driver's rear door..if you need that information. If there's a plug that you know of that has all of the connections you need, just snip it off and solder and shrink wrap or electric tape the wires there!

I ran into this problem a few years ago. I think the reason had to do with the DOT not allowing 4 pin to adapt to a 7 pin. If I remember correctly it was due to the adapter not allowing for trailer braking of the 7 pin.

I ended up hard wiring a 7 pin receptable on the bumper. I would skip Mopar for trailer parts and go to a Northertool, or equivalent. They will have everything you need, except that adapter for cheap.

I ran into this problem a few years ago. I think the reason had to do with the DOT not allowing 4 pin to adapt to a 7 pin. If I remember correctly it was due to the adapter not allowing for trailer braking of the 7 pin.

I ended up hard wiring a 7 pin receptable on the bumper. I would skip Mopar for trailer parts and go to a Northertool, or equivalent. They will have everything you need, except that adapter for cheap.

I will take a look into that. thanks

DOT feels that a partially wired 7-pin without the power lead is a safety hazard. Maybe not to the original owner who wired it up, but perhaps to someone else who assumes that the 7-pin has power for the brakes.

If you're going to do a 7-pin, I would recommend running a fused power lead from the battery and the wire for trailer brakes, even if you don't install a brake controller. Odds are you'll probably want to haul something big down the road (pun intended).

Back