• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help with a ZJ

RaiderX7

NAXJA Forum User
Hello my XJ brothers. Im having a problem and wondering if you guys can help. First off i own a 99XJ. I bought a 96 ZJ for 600 that had a blown tranny. I got it off my friend. When i bought it the tranny was already inside the tailgate. But he assured me the engine ran fine. So 2 weeks ago i finally finsihed rebuilding the tranny on it. I got everything togeather and go to crank her and nothing. She cranks and cranks but no start. I am getting no fuel presure and no spark. I already replaced the Crankshaft sensor. All the fuses are good and also the relays. Its not the NSS. I am a mechanic but this is really starting to piss me off. I am getting no codes. I am leaning towards the Camshaft sensor but dont want to spend the money if i dont have to. I know this is a XJ site but i already posted on the ZJ forums and they take awhile. Plus for some reason i have more faith in my XJ family. Thanks for any help guys.

Shit i forgot. its a 4.0L. also a update while im at it. So i said fudge it and picked up a cam shaft sensor and a new cap and rotor. But for some reason now she doesnt start in park just neutral. Still same cranks but no start. is thier a sensor in the tranny that i could of fucked up that would cause this.

The crank in neutral and not park *IS* likely the neutral safety switch. Why do you say it's not? For the crank and no start, I'd look at the crank position sensor. It's mounted on the bell housing, drivers side. You can search and find troubleshooting and repair/replacement help.

When i said i dont think its a NSS i meant for the not starting thing. I already got a NSS to solve the no starting in park thing.

ok update guys. So i tested to see if my fuel pump was getting power and it was. So i tested the ground and i got a light from the test light. So i my fuel pump was bad. Replaced the fuel pump and now i got fuel and fuel pressure all the way to the fuel rail. So 1/2 of the problem is solved. But im still getting no spark. So i went to the parts store. I bought plugs and wires and a coil pack. Replaced it all and now i have a spark but its super super weak. You can barley see it. I tired grounding the the coil pack case after seeing in a wiring diagram that the coil pack gets its ground from the case. Still no start. Im getting no codes at all. I feel like im so close. Please keep the help coming guys

This is what i replaced so far

Crank position sensor
Cam Position Sensor
Cap
Rotor
Plugs
Wires
Coil Pack
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter

Also side note. I have a test not but my multi meter is bad. So i checked the plug that goes into the coil pack and my test light lights up but its weak compared to putting it on the battery. So i think im not getting good voltage at the plug. what the fiddle would cause this! Im getting angry now lol

Last edited by a moderator:
After looking threw some wiring diagram i think i have a loose or missing ground. this is why i think i have power at the coil plug but its week power. My question is are their any grounds on the Transmission that i might have missed. If i cant find one then im going to make a bunch or ground wires and run them threw out the engine bay and see if it helps. If you guys have any ideas let me know!

I believe the tranny is grounded through the engine block. Obviously a working meter would be more helpful than a test light. I would start checking the grounds at the computer connector. Check voltage at the sensors and their grounds. I found on my 93ZJ that all of the pcm grounds came together into a single 18-gauge wire that ran back to the battery. When that got damaged installing the battery I got intermittent stalling with no spark and no fuel.

Don't know about a ZJ but the XJ has a braided ground strap at the rear of the head that connects to the firewall.

dumb question but whats the battery look like? terminals corroded or nice and clean? and how old?

the battery is on its way out but it has enough juice to crank it for a little while. Also after looking the the wiring diagrom i dont think its a ground problem. I made some groudning wires one form the body to the Negative one from the ECU to the negative and one from the engine to the Negative and still nothing. Thiers 2 wires that go to the coil pack a Green wire with a orange stripe and a Grey wire with a White Stripe. Now the green wire comes from the ASD relay and im getting 4 volts thiers, they grey wire comes from the ECU and im getting nothing. I know for a fact the coil pack is getting a good ground from itself bolting to the case. What would cause the ecu not to send out power to the coil pack. Im just getting so frustrated with this. I really need to finish this ZJ. Also i got my frist code but its a P0505 idle control system malfunction. So im not really to sure if it purtains to this.

i got a dual battery setup in my XJ. Ill jump the ZJ battery and make sure its sitting at 13 volts or so before i crank and see what happens.

Back