• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 shaft Q

gte636p

NAXJA Forum User
I have been trying to find a way to get my locker from my old XJ into my new one. The problem here is that my old one was a '96 and the new one is a '98 and the spline counts do not match up in my 8.25. I had given up hope on this, aside from swapping out axles to a 27 spline 8.25 (not happening), but was reading the ARB application chart and saw this footnote:

"Pre-1997 8.25" axle assemblys with 27 spline axle shafts will accept newer 29 spline shafts if RD93 is fitted."

I'm thinking this means that the 29 spline unit will work in the 27 spline housing if you get the 29 spline shafts from somewhere and change the bearings out. Is this correct? The reason I ask is that I seem to remember the 29 spline shafts being .002" larger in diameter over the 27 spline shafts. If this is the case then I will just run open for a while, if I am mistaken then I can throw some 27 spline shafts in and get a locker back in...Is this even remotely an option?

And before it's even mentioned, there is no money available for any sort of new 29 spline locker. The only reason the question is being asked is because the 27 spline locker is free of charge sitting in front of me right now.

what locker do you have? If its a lunchbox locker, just throw it in the 29spline case. If its a full case locker, you are SOL short of using the 27spline shafts.

It's a lunchbox locker, and I've got the shafts on hand as well. I just never felt comfortable just replacing the shafts and going without knowing the dimensions and whether or not it's a plug and play deal.

Sell it and buy a 29 spline locker.

Its not worth downgrading in strength. :)

what locker do you have? If its a lunchbox locker, just throw it in the 29spline case. If its a full case locker, you are SOL short of using the 27spline shafts.

Wont work dude, think about it. Why does powertraxx have different lockers for the 27 and 29 spline, and why has it taken years for aussie to develop the 29 spline version when the 27 spline has been out for years?

-Alex

Alright, found the info I forgot:

27 spline - 1.17" diameter
29 spline - 1.21" diameter

I think that's a little too much space to just throw something in there and call it good.

well... I got bored. Shafts were 20 dollars for the set and replacement bearings and seals are the same part number regardless of spline count, from what I found. The shafts are in, the locker fits nice and snug in the case and I have a locker back.

If I somehow manage to blow a shaft I still have the 29 spline units to swap back in. No harm no foul.

Last edited:
and that is why I'll retract the previous post. Everything fits right and install is nothing, but it started misbehaving after a little on the road. The OD of the driver gears is roughly 0.1" less than the OD of the spider gears on the shaft. It unloads in a straight line and stays locked in turns. It also vibes at 35-40 mph. It's a no-go.

At least now I know, and hopefully it will come up when someone else searches to keep them from trying to. It's better than simple responses like "nope, won't work". I looked high and low for the same info...

Back