• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud creaking coming from rear end!

CreativeSN

NAXJA Forum User
For months now, I have been hearing loud creaking sounds from my rear suspension any time the suspension flexes. The noise does not happen when going over a perpendicular object like a speed bump but only during flex. I have tried flexing it out and lubricating everything, and tightening all u-bolts and leaf pack bolts. It is definitely coming from around the rear suspension, but I can't pinpoint it. I took some videos so you guys can hear the noise. FWIW the axle is an 8.8 and rear suspension is R.E. 4.5" Superflex with cheapo ProComp monotube shocks. Any ideas? I'm stumped and this noise is annoying as hell. :dunno:

Last edited:
just a theory, but on a speedbump the shocks wouldnt pivot, only compress. but with flex, the shock pivots on the upper mount. maybe your bushings are too tight? shocks are easy to disconnect, maybe try disconnecting them and seeing if it still squeeks?
if for no other reason to take them off the list of possible causes.
i would also think maybe the shackle bushings?

Yes I will try the shock bushings. Also another idea, I tried tightening the shackle bolts but maybe I should try loosening them excessively just to do a test. I'll try both of these things and get back to ya.

excessively tight shackle bolts will pinch the bushings, which isnt what you want, and might cause the squeeking! just get them somewhat tight and red loc-tite them, it'll help your rear suspension flex better as well.

Sure sounds like your leaf springs.Jack up the rear so the springs start to fan out and spray some wd40 in there and try it.

RE here with noise too. It happens on pinion rotation and it's probabaly spring ends rubbing. At some point in time I will be getting some teflon strips to place between spring ends, in the mean time WD40 or grease. If you jump up and down on the bumper the creeking sound doesn't happen but when you torque the rear end and move the pinion angle it happens. Another option was something similar to CalTrac bars but I will fab a different attachment point for the front.

I get this noise out of my urethane shackle bushings (what a mistake) I keep a can of silicone lubricant in the truck.

My RE shackles have Zerks on them. Have you given them a fresh squirt of grease lately?

My XJ made a similar noise, I just needed to re-torque the U-bolt nuts.

I removed the shocks and loosened the shackle bolts and it helped a little. I think I'll try unbolting and expanding the leaves so I can lubricate everything. I was even thinking about the possibility that the quarter panel cutting allowing the damn unibody to flex.

Alright I think I just fixed it. I completely topped out the suspension by jacking the chassis up and excessively lubricated between the leaves and between bushings with graphite based lube. So those who have the same problem, try that. Only time will tell though...

Alright I think I just fixed it. I completely topped out the suspension by jacking the chassis up and excessively lubricated between the leaves and between bushings with graphite based lube. So those who have the same problem, try that. Only time will tell though...

You should have done one thing at a time so you would known exactly what it was!

Back