• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire, Lift and Rocker Questions.

94CountryXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Since my S10 project is temporarly on hold and the Jeep is once again up and running. I'm planning on spending some cash on it.

Here's what I have. I have a 94' Country XJ with a 1999 4.0 and a AW4. It's sitting on a completely stock suspension and crappy Firestones. I'm planning on spending about $750 on it next month.

I'm looking at one of these kits.
http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=481

Is this a good deal, even with it just being a AAL? It sags pretty noticable right now, not sure a AAL would work or for long with my worn out leafs.

I'm also needing a set of tires. I want to run 31's. Would like to hear some brand suggestions. It sems maybe 70% street and 30% off-road.

I also need to do a cat-back as it's still factory and toast. Going with the Jegs kit. I may up my budget to a grand since it needs a new header/front pipe anyways.

Can I do this on my planned budget? Or should I just go aheead and buy new leafs.

I also need advice on what to do about my rockers. They are pretty much gone . The drivers side especially. As you can see in this photo. Which is really weird since the rest of the truck is rock solid.

2896938532_dd2f8eb6ab_o.jpg

Who makes replacement sheet metal? Or should I just plate over it and install tube guards?

If you really want to do things on a budget, put some ZJ V8 coils up front with a 1.75" spacer, do a bastard pack in the rear by adding some XJ leafs into your pack and maybe a 1" shackle. That combo should give about 3-3.5" of lift and be relatively cheap. Also, get some YJ brake lines and use those for added length. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and buy some new lower control arms up front and an adjustable trackbar, but you don't have to. New shocks though would be a good idea. You're probably looking at a grand total of around 300-400 bucks for all that.

I went ahead and bought a RE 3.5" Superflex Kit for $400 and spent another $100 on shocks and am very happy with the setup. But if I did it again, I probably would have gone the cheapo route since I've heard it all works out really well.

I keep seeing people bitching about bastard packs and AAl's sagging. It's making me think I should just say screw it and buy leafs.

As for the ZJ coils. Which ones are best, the Laredo, Limited or SE? Or is the difference in the spring rates and not height?

Some people swear by AAL's and some hate them. I have AAL's on mine, but they're only a couple months old. So far no issues, still give a great ride and flex. And realistically, if an AAL does sag after a year or so, It's still cheaper to get another pair and easy to install than buying a whole new pack. I'm happy with them for now.

As far as the ZJ coils, I'm not sure if there's a difference between the models. I think as long as it's a V8 ZJ you're good to go.

V8 ZJ coils netted me 1.5". Your mileage will vary depending on how sagged your OEM coils are and how fresh a set of V8 coils you get. V8 Upcountry coils will, on the average, net you an additional inch over standard V8 coils - regardless of trim level.
AAL's are fine if you get a quality unit that will work well within the spring pack. Most of them are too stiff and will not ride well or last long, some folks even reporting decreased longevity of the OEM spring back.
I run my XJ on Cooper Starfire A/Ts - I don't think the continued the "starfire" name but Cooper makes a decent tire and I've got no complaints. If I was going to buy a new set of rubbers, though, I'd go with BFG A/Ts. A little more cash, but it is a 50-60K mile tire with great traction and they are kinda sexy looking, too.
For the most power per dollar, put a glasspack muffler on it that flows real good and have the exhaust shop fit you up a new downpipe in 2.25 or 2.5" piping. The header is decent enough from the factory - not great, a new header will be better, but dollar for dollar you're getting more with a glasspack and new downpipe. Some folks will disagree and they should feel free to do so...
As for rockers: look up HD Offroad Engineering. They are two guys and a shop who introduced themselves on NAXJA not too long ago and I am impressed with their products. Very impressed, actually. They make 1/4" rocker skins that should weld up nicely to what is left or your rockers. If you aren't wheeling the thing stupid-hardcore, and on 31's you wont be, they should hold up MORE than well enough, look stock and even stiffen up the chassis some small amount as they are much sturdier than the 16 ga sheet metal that used to be your rockers.
You won't find the rocker skins on their website, so look for them on Naxja. Dirk Pitt and BrianHO613 or something.
Once I'm back in the lovely world of the Employed and Prosperous with Money to Burn, I plan to get the full set of their products.
Oh- think about their shackle relocation box, as well. You might be able to get their shackle box + a 1.5" shackle and have a nice-riding and real-flexy rear end that comes in at your 3" or so lift goal.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out their stuff. i won't be slamming off many rocks but it will see some playing in the mud (even in stock form with these crappy tires it embarrassed my buddies stock S10 Blazer). I'm not a fan of glasspacks as they have been tested and proven to flow less than most turbo style mufflers. But, thanks again for the advice.

I'm going to buy a new set of V8 coils so sagging won't be an issue. Also looks like I will be ordering a set of 1.75" spacers from Quadratec as well as a set of 3.5" RE leafs so i can avoid any hassle.

What shocks do you guys recommend?

I've run the Pro Comp ES3000's on a YJ and now my XJ and have loved them. Have definitely improved the ride and handling on both vehicles. The dirt road that leads out to all of the trails around me is about 2 miles of pure washboard bumps and my XJ handles better than my buddies stock F150 and I don't have any swaybars.

Plus you can get a set of them from 4 Wheel Parts with boots for $100. Great shocks in my opinion!

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out their stuff. i won't be slamming off many rocks but it will see some playing in the mud (even in stock form with these crappy tires it embarrassed my buddies stock S10 Blazer). I'm not a fan of glasspacks as they have been tested and proven to flow less than most turbo style mufflers. But, thanks again for the advice.

I'm going to buy a new set of V8 coils so sagging won't be an issue. Also looks like I will be ordering a set of 1.75" spacers from Quadratec as well as a set of 3.5" RE leafs so i can avoid any hassle.

What shocks do you guys recommend?

The RE leafs are probably gonna net you over 4.5" in reality, I would look into the Quadratec HD leafs with 1.5" shackles. That should be very close to equal with the front.

My Junkyard XJ "Brother" pack wasn't too hard to assemble, total time (from disassembly to cutting to reassembly) was an afternoon, but I was fortunate enough to get some help on cutting the bushings by a professional metal shop.

HD Offroad probably have the most affordable unibody helpers ever made; as soon as I'm done making my XJ actually work I'm gonna buy their stiffeners, they are incredibly well engineered (from what I've seen), and much cheaper than anywhere else. I have seen their rocker guards around NAXJA, but no where else, and I'm sure they are just as reliable and affordable as the stiffeners.

I havent seen anyone suggest it yet but since your rocker is rusted out I would suggest a full replacement, cut out the old rocker on both sides and weld in some 2x4 or 3x6 box steel. It will be stronger then a bolt on rocker and will also help to stiffen your chasis.

-Alex

The RE leafs are probably gonna net you over 4.5" in reality, I would look into the Quadratec HD leafs with 1.5" shackles. That should be very close to equal with the front.

My Junkyard XJ "Brother" pack wasn't too hard to assemble, total time (from disassembly to cutting to reassembly) was an afternoon, but I was fortunate enough to get some help on cutting the bushings by a professional metal shop.

HD Offroad probably have the most affordable unibody helpers ever made; as soon as I'm done making my XJ actually work I'm gonna buy their stiffeners, they are incredibly well engineered (from what I've seen), and much cheaper than anywhere else. I have seen their rocker guards around NAXJA, but no where else, and I'm sure they are just as reliable and affordable as the stiffeners.

I wouldn't mind 4.5' in the rear. A 1" rake wouldn't look too bad IMHO.

I thought about welding in square tubing and then having plates bent to hide them and sort of resemble rockers.

Back