• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So...what do I do now?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
Well my bike has sold, I'm just waiting for paypal to clear the check. Worst case, if the check doesn't clear...I have a local guy who wants my bike for $100 more than what the other guy just paid.

That said, I ordered a Rigidco winch bumper a week ago, I'll be expecting it in a month...maybe a little longer. This will set me back about $600. That being the case, I have another $500 I'd like to spend on my Jeep. I figure my options are fairly simple.

1) Buy a winch right away (like warn 8000's that are on sale, or maybe a superwinch 8500)

2) Buy a top hat roof rack and save up later for a winch (protection/function for the Jeep)

3) Buy accessories such as a hi-lift, spacers to make up for the weight of the bumper+future winch, recovery kit, and maybe some Hella 500 lights.

At first it's like, "Well duh, your getting a winch bumper, get a winch!" But the reason I'm not 100% sure on that is because I think it's possible I could save money if I wait it out till December-ish, and possibly find a nice one used, or one on sale. Not to mention I don't really NEED a winch till it starts to snow. As far as the top hat goes, I know I WANT one eventually...and I'd rather protect stuff before it goes. And then obviously the accessories I'm going to need eventually in ANY route.

I have a steady job, I'll save about $50-100 from that every 2 weeks (I don't have many hours right now). So I know, no matter what I do, I can always get the other stuff later. But I want some thoughts on what I should do first and foremost.

Thanks.
~Scott

P.S. If you have any of the above mentioned items you'd like to sell, PM me. :eyes:

i understand your logic, but i really think you will look back and think "should of bought a winch when i had the money back in september"

the winch, is a self recovery item, that you will never regret owning. a roof rack or fog lights will never prove they're value like a winch will!

thats why you dont see many forsele on craigslist.. theyre not worth selling. once a wheeler/always a wheeler, and that winch is your #1 asset that will go on any rig!

i understand your logic, but i really think you will look back and think "should of bought a winch when i had the money back in september"

the winch, is a self recovery item, that you will never regret owning. a roof rack or fog lights will never prove they're value like a winch will!

thats why you dont see many forsele on craigslist.. theyre not worth selling. once a wheeler/always a wheeler, and that winch is your #1 asset that will go on any rig!

Ya kinda what I've been thinking. But you guys would know better than me...do they ever go on sale?

~Scott

Yeah but the only times I have ever needed to be winched out of something, both times the Warn winches that were going to be used on me didnt work... Food for thought. :D

-Alex

My .02

Get the top hat and a hi-lift and whatever else you can afford. If your going wheelin' chances are your going with somebody who has winch. I beleive your open/open so it's not like your going to be doing anything too stupid until you get gears/traction aids. Don't wheel alone and you shouldn't, key word, NEED a winch to go wheel. I have been alot of places locked/locked and havn't been winched once(knock on wood). Use good judgement, take the easies line if there are no winches or don't do trails beyond your vehicles limits.

What good is it to recover your jeep only to have smashed it to peices? I wish I would have invested in more protection first. My doors will show you they do too.

What have you done to your Jeep so far Scott?

I wouldnt of spent the $600 a winch bumper costs you, and bought one cheaper that doesnt have a winch mount. You can always add a winch mount later. Might not look as 'cool', but it all functions the same in the end.

I would start off by doing basic small upgrades.

Steering box plates.(JKS, C-rok, ect..)
Upgraded steering.(ACRO 1 ton, Currie)
Steering box brace.(M.O.R.E.)
SYE.(PORC, AA)
1 or 2 lockers.(Aussie, lockright)
HD trackbar and bracket.(RE)
Trackbar brace.(RE)
Skids.(stock or aftermarket)
Diff cover(s).(Solid, RuffStuff, Riddler, Crane)
More spare parts than just axle shafts.(engine electrical parts, steering, driveshaft, u joints, wheel bearings, list goes on)
Basic recovery stuff.(straps, D rings, jack, ect..)

I would worry more about getting situated for the trails than spending money on the big stuff now, that you may never use, or use an a rare occasion.

My .02.

I think I would say that around here Eli has built the best budget rig that goes anywhere and is extremely capable, listen to him Scott he knows whats hes talking about.

-Alex

What have you done to your Jeep so far Scott?

I wouldnt of spent the $600 a winch bumper costs you, and bought one cheaper that doesnt have a winch mount. You can always add a winch mount later. Might not look as 'cool', but it all functions the same in the end.

I would start off by doing basic small upgrades.

Steering box plates.(JKS, C-rok, ect..)
Upgraded steering.(ACRO 1 ton, Currie)
Steering box brace.(M.O.R.E.)
SYE.(PORC, AA)
1 or 2 lockers.(Aussie, lockright)
HD trackbar and bracket.(RE)
Trackbar brace.(RE)
Skids.(stock or aftermarket)
Diff cover(s).(Solid, RuffStuff, Riddler, Crane)
More spare parts than just axle shafts.(engine electrical parts, steering, driveshaft, u joints, wheel bearings, list goes on)
Basic recovery stuff.(straps, D rings, jack, ect..)

I would worry more about getting situated for the trails than spending money on the big stuff now, that you may never use, or use an a rare occasion.

My .02.

I don't want to bother explaining why I bought a winch bumper, but I will say I disagree with your views on why I shouldn't have.

I also believe I don't need a lot of the things you mentioned with my 31's and small lift...eventually yes, but right now, no. It would sure be the "proper" thing to do though, I agree.

My Jeep so far...
-BFG Mud Terrain 31's on 15x8 rims
-3" RC lift with Nitro shocks, quick disconnects, and RE 1.25" shackles (full leaf)
-2 50w reverse lights in the bumper
-all new gaskets on the engine (oil pan, timing cover, valve cover)
-timing chain + gears
-T-case skid, Gas skid, engine skid, and JCR Stage 2 sliders
-Fender trimming
-Brand new battery, hoses, sensors, alternator, wiring harness.
-CB Radio
-Tow hooks front
-Hitch rear
:wave:
Hopefully you understand where I'm trying to go with this. I'd like to slowly build my Jeep, as I still drive pavement more than anything else (unfortunately). What's everyone else's thoughts!? The more opinions the better!

~Scott

P.S. Let's not talk about what I could have/should have done, let's talk about what I should do now with knowing what I have.

Last edited:
I drive mine on the pavement and I bet its nicer then yours because of the SYE. :D But seriously everyone needs steering box reinforcement, I mean your subframe is already cracked right?

-Alex

Well my bike has sold, I'm just waiting for paypal to clear the check. Worst case, if the check doesn't clear...I have a local guy who wants my bike for $100 more than what the other guy just paid.

That said, I ordered a Rigidco winch bumper a week ago, I'll be expecting it in a month...maybe a little longer. This will set me back about $600. That being the case, I have another $500 I'd like to spend on my Jeep. I figure my options are fairly simple.

1) Buy a winch right away (like warn 8000's that are on sale, or maybe a superwinch 8500)

2) Buy a top hat roof rack and save up later for a winch (protection/function for the Jeep)

3) Buy accessories such as a hi-lift, spacers to make up for the weight of the bumper+future winch, recovery kit, and maybe some Hella 500 lights.

At first it's like, "Well duh, your getting a winch bumper, get a winch!" But the reason I'm not 100% sure on that is because I think it's possible I could save money if I wait it out till December-ish, and possibly find a nice one used, or one on sale. Not to mention I don't really NEED a winch till it starts to snow. As far as the top hat goes, I know I WANT one eventually...and I'd rather protect stuff before it goes. And then obviously the accessories I'm going to need eventually in ANY route.

I have a steady job, I'll save about $50-100 from that every 2 weeks (I don't have many hours right now). So I know, no matter what I do, I can always get the other stuff later. But I want some thoughts on what I should do first and foremost.

Thanks.
~Scott

P.S. If you have any of the above mentioned items you'd like to sell, PM me. :eyes:

smittybilt XRC-10000
less then 500$ shipped from winch depot.com

I don't want to bother explaining why I bought a winch bumper, but I will say I disagree with your views on why I shouldn't have.

I also believe I don't need a lot of the things you mentioned with my 31's and small lift...eventually yes, but right now, no. It would sure be the "proper" thing to do though, I agree.

Hopefully you understand where I'm trying to go with this. I'd like to slowly build my Jeep, as I still drive pavement more than anything else (unfortunately). What's everyone else's thoughts!? The more opinions the better!

~Scott

P.S. Let's not talk about what I could have/should have done, let's talk about what I should do now with knowing what I have.

I never said you shouldnt of bought it. All I said was *I* wouldnt of bought one. Lets hear why you disagree with my views on having one or not.

I gave you a list of what you should do now.

Just becasue you have a small lift and only 31's, doesnt mean you wont break on the trail. You never want to be 'that guy'. All those upgrades can come in time. You dont have to do them all at once. Being that it is a daily driver, wouldnt you want the peice of mind that something isnt going to fail on the trail and leave you stranded without a vehicle to get you back and forth to highschool and work?

But since you seem to know it all, Im not going to bother anymore. Dont take the advice of the people who have been around the block a few times, who have built their rigs already, and know what works.

Previously I said to you either a winch or other trail accessories, but after some thought it makes more sense to gather up more basic trail tools rather than jump to a winch, ie: tow strap(s), hi-lift jack, etc. Theres nothing wrong with having a bumper w/o the winch mount spot being filled. A winch cant get you out of every situation, but if you have the basic gear for common trail problems you can get things straightened out, and be back on your way. If your riding with a club run they always have atleast one rig around you that has a winch to aid you if needed, so until your leading a group quite often one isnt totally neccesary. If Im not mistaken, Alex is winch-less and he has just about any piece of equipment on his rig youll need to go wheeling, and then some.

-Lyle

While a winch is always important, it's really just for lazy people. Get a come-along and a hi-lift with straps and chain and call it good. Even with a winch, I carry these items just in case. You'll be in it less than a hundred bucks.

Steering es #1. Did your bumper second as steering box reinforcement? If not, you wasted $600. You can't steer, you can't move. Bottom line. Ever have two guys trying to turn your tires for you? Highway or offroad, whether you're tugged, dragged, towed or winched, it's going to be a MFer of a day.

Reliability is your #1 priority.

Lastly,
Don't be a punkass. Eli is/was trying to help and you came off as a douche.

Thanks Lyle, I've seen what alot of guys around here carry and I try to have everything I should need to fix a trail break.

Heres what I thinks are some good things to carry, but I am nowhere near an expert in this area.

-Basic first aid kit
-Spare food, water, blankets/ jackets (weather depending)
-Spare fluids, distilled water, oil, ATF
-Hi-lift and bottle jack
-Socket set with rackets and a breaker bar, also the axle socket 32mm I think?
-A set of open ended and box ended wrenches are also nice to have
-Tow strap, at least 2 shackles, and a snatch block
-Spare nuts and bolts, (especially a centering pin and U bolts for your rear axle)
-Jumper cables, seriously why does nobody carry these anymore?
-Flashlights, gloves, knives, zipties bungee cords all have come in handy for me
-Various hose fittings and clamps
-Spare TRE's
-Tire patch and plug kit
-Fire extinguisher
-Spare radiator cap
-Test light and extra wire, spare fuses too

-Alex

You can't steer, you can't move. Bottom line. Ever have two guys trying to turn your tires for you? Highway or offroad, whether you're tugged, dragged, towed or winched, it's going to be a MFer of a day.

Thats the truth, last october when my buddies nissan cracked its drag link in half we were up a creek, took multiple trips between Woodinville and Reiter all night long and until the next morning to get it fixed. Great learning experience.:roflmao:

-Alex

Being that I'm in a similar boat as far as my rig. Daily driver with basically just a 3 in lift and 31's. While upgraded bumpers are really needed, you could have made one for about 1/3 of the cost and half the time. but what's done is done.

While you should upgrade the steering eventually, I'd go with all the general recovery equipment. I'm willing to put money on that you'll get stuck and need those before you need to replace steering components. But still, you can get all the recovery stuff for cheap used and still in good shape. Also don't forget some tools you need but don't have yet. Other then that, a cheap locker would be nice.

It seems like you should make a list of what you think you need and them put those into 2 other lists, necessities and niceties. Get what you NEED then get what you'd like to have or would be cool. Mine is my DD so getting back home from the trail is first and foremost. I can get a winch and better steering later.

Back