• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle questions

shotgun1976

NAXJA Forum User
Could any one tell me what all this stuff means? It is on my newly purchased stock 92 XJ. I am new to Jeeps and trying to figure out exactly all of what I have. I was reading that the 35C stands for Dana 35 Custom, and was specifically made for Chrysler, is this true? What about the various other numbers. The one on the botom of the Dana 35 is a date but all the rest have me puzzled. Also what does the 30-7AF on the Dana 30 mean? Thanks for all the help.
DSCN5945.jpg

DSCN5948.jpg

those are casting numbers. and a date

rear axle translation: poo axle, W/ a side of c-clips

it should have a tag attached thru the cover bolts that says the gear ratio (3.55 for auto, 3.07 for manual? assuming you have the 4.0 motor and oem ratios)
thats really the only number your gonna care about. its not like theres some ultra rare d35 that isnt a turd. (check your glovebox for a sticker indicating a LSD rear end, or jack up both rear tires, and spin a rear tire. if the other rear tire spins the same direction, yous gots an lsd)

welcome to naxja though.

Thanks for the info. The tag appears to be long gone, but it is pretty obvious that there was no work done on this Jeep other than the ocassional service stuff, so I'm pretty sure it is original. Would like to swap it with a d44 someday, that's if I can get the department of the treasury that sleeps next to me to free up funding.

Back