• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

after sitting for 2yrs it won't start

NYMike1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys... I have a 99 that has been in the garage for the past 2yrs and I can't get it started. While it was sitting I pulled the dash to swap out heater core and just today I put in a new battery. It will crank but not start.Any ideas about were to start trouble shooting this.

following the advice for checking fuel pump in the FAQ section I depressed the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and did get a short spray of fuel . Is the spray supposed to be constant when the key is turned on ?

Quality spark + fuel + compression = Start

Yes, checking for spark is the next step. You may have lost your CPS or coil during the layup.

One quick and dirty test would be to spray a bit of starting fluid into the intake. If it fires or runs momentarily, then you have a fuel delivery problem of some sort.

I'd also consider siphoning the old gas out and replacing it with new. It's not the reason it won't start, just a good idea in my opinion. Was old gas stabilized? Fuel breaks down pretty quickly and if there is varnish and gum in the fuel, getting it out of there may prevent future problems with fuel injectors, etc.

I pulled a plug and it has spark .And there is spark to and from coil,I don't know if thats how to tell if coil is good or bad.. Gas tank is full (with old gas)never stabilized. Tried starting fluid didn't turn over,not even a sputter. I appreciate the help .

I pulled a plug and it has spark .And there is spark to and from coil,I don't know if thats how to tell if coil is good or bad.. Gas tank is full (with old gas)never stabilized. Tried starting fluid didn't turn over,not even a sputter. I appreciate the help .

My first thought last night was bad gas.

2 years is a while for gas to sit and not be stabilized.

I'll siphon out old gas. Even though I'm getting spark I'll do wires,plugs,dist,rotor and coil....should I put a new CPS in there too? And since it didn't fire with starting fluid is there anything else I should be looking at?

How does the gas smell when you press the schrader valve on the fuel rail? Your injectors could be clogged. Gas will varnish very quickly when in smaller amounts (jets or orifices) as apposed to an entire tank of fuel. Where did you spray the starter fluid? If you have compression (im assuming you do), a good spark (you said you did), and the timing has not been altered (you didnt mention anything about this), the only thing missing is fuel. Remove the rubber boot from the throttle body, open the butterfly, and spray the starter fluid in there directly. Put the rubber hose back on quickly (to help against any popping back through the intake/burning your jeep down), and try to start it fast. If you have compression, spark (at the right time), and fuel, something will happen. Just have to figure out what is missing.

~James

I finally got it started ! I had to hold butterfly valve all the way open for it to crank over. I'm happy as a pig in sh%t knowing I won't have to throw parts at it trying to find the problem. Running ok, need to feather throttle until it idles . I'll be at auto store early tomorrow getting plugs,wires, oil ,filters, hoses etc. Thanks for all the help guys .

Back